Mallard's Tender and the 1948 locomotive Exchanges

• RMweb Gold

I am in the process of building a Southeastern Finecast A4 as Mallard in the condition it was in running between Paddington and Penzance on 26/27th April 1948 in advance of the locomotive exchanges.   

My first question is whether anyone knows exactly which departure from Paddington / Penzance Mallard was used on for these two workings?

For the loco body I am quite happy with the work that is required, however the tender is proving a little more difficult.  Thanks to Tony Wright I am aware that the rear of the tender was chopped down in order to provide clearance to allow the shorter water towers off the LNER system to access the tender water filler.   As it comes, the streamlined corridor tender has a curved raised section about 10mm wide along the length of the right hand side of the tender.  I assume this is the corridor and that it was also reduced in height for the length of the impacted section.

From photos I think it looks like the sides were reduced in height by about half on the right hand side looking towards the chimney (while the left hand side looks like the only modification as on the rear end), continuing around the end and then going back to full height for the corridor connection.  But given that LNER locomotives are a long way out of my comfort zone, I would welcome confirmation, especially if the exact reduction in height can be confirmed.  

Good morning all

Mallard was not fitted with a corridor tender in LNER days. 

I'm not sure of the exact date of the change.

One point about the SEF tender, is the fire iron tunnel on the LHS. This did not exist on the corridor tenders. Firemen normally storing the fire irons in the corridor.

Thane of Fife

Edited by Thane of Fife

• RMweb Gold

Is this the case with the condition in 1948?  When they chopped the tender down it clearly raises up in the centre of the rear end of the tender as if to clear the corridor connection. 

Thanks for the info on the fire iron tunnel