Best mini decoder for Hornby 71?

pinzaboy

Hi

Can anyone advise on the best decoder for the Hornby class 71? My understanding is that it requires a mini 8 pin to fit inside the body.

I see Hattons do a mini 

8 pin in their range but it says it's 2 function. Would that be sufficient?

Many thanks in advance.

Tim

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, pinzaboy said:

Hi

Can anyone advise on the best decoder for the Hornby class 71? My understanding is that it requires a mini 8 pin to fit inside the body.

I see Hattons do a mini 

8 pin in their range but it says it's 2 function. Would that be sufficient?

Many thanks in advance.

Tim

It's not difficult to fit a reasonable decoder - doesn't need to be a mini one. Mine has a Lenz Standard+ which fits easily. But to do so you must remove the centre spring which provides the electrical contact from the pantograph to the PCB which you are obviously not using with DCC. This spring is held in place by the small screw that also secures the pantograph in place. So just hold the body carefully with a couple of fingers on the pantograph so you can remove the screw and spring, and refit the screw. 

A Lenz Silver Direct also fits without the need to remove the spring. 

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold

A LaisDCC 8pin Direct also fits with no modifications. Oddly enough the Gaugemaster and DCCconcepts 8pin direct decoders are slightly too tall.

For what its worth you need a 4 function (technically 3) to operate the cab lights (yup, it actually has cab lights) but a 2 function is enough for the standard directional lights.