South West Timetables - 1998

• RMweb Gold

I am in the very early stages of planning my next Modern Image layout which will eventually end up replacing Wheal Imogen.  While construction of the layout itself is a long way down the line, I have started the design phase in order that it can help influence rolling stock projects in the meantime and help focus everything in the right direction.

While I have yet to decide upon a location to model, it is going to be somewhere on the mainline between Exeter and St Blazey and will be set during the winter of 1998 / spring of 1999.

I am trying to pull together a rough working timetable for Lostwithiel and Dawlish, I have previously found lots of detail on the freight workings but not a lot on the passenger side of things.  I was wondering if anyone knows of a source of passenger timetables for Virgin XC, Great Western Trains and Wales & West for 98/99?  I am assuming the chance of seeing a copy of a proper working timetable along the lines of the documents I have used for 1947 is out of the question…

Working timetables can be had, although getting the exact ones you want can be difficult. I wanted to research services on the WCML between Warrington and Preston in 2006, for pretty much the same reasons you do, and I've been able to pick up a 2007 passenger WTT, a copy of the 2006 network timetable (the huge book: 2006 was the last year it was published in this form, I think) and just recently an Autumn 2006 edition of Freight master. All these came from eBay, but I've also used https://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/wtt/railtrack/railtrackindex.php in the past.

Jim

I have a paper copy of the passenger time table for this period

Obviously I could photo copy the relevant pages.

Since it is the 'public' timetable it differs slightly from the working timetables

and doesn't have the details that wtts contain.

Since you mention St Blazey, I looked up par and that would be about 30 pages

but the table covers the (ex gwr) main line west of Exeter.

If of interest leave me a message with your email address

so we can sort out details

Mike James

Edited by mikejames
edited to suggest using email to sort out details