Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Don't forget your toothbrush!

Here's my brave/foolhardy* (delete as applicable) attempts at cobbling things together in a Network SouthEast style. Its a GLV in a not actually used livery put together from a Lima BG and MJT parts. Its not too bad if you stand well back. And close your eyes. I put the roof down one day and the fairies in my room swiped it, never to be seen again!

20190608_163116.jpg

Edited by Sophia NSE
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 months later...

The GLV has been sacrificed for the greater good, otherwise known as an attempt at building a rule 1 EMU...20191010_163136.jpg.3e98c7d68a74949dd6f7d2439f3857de.jpg

Start with an innocent Mainline mk1 SK, an EPB style cab and the cab windows and doors from the GLV. Hack for a while and get to this point...20191010_162149.jpg.803a2204fe74b7a5544a3354084c7539.jpg

Finally attach the sides and end up with this...20191010_171151.jpg.d48af322d6771849b4121bbc40559fdc.jpg

There's a buffet restaurant car on its way from the Bay of E to bung into this little lot.20191010_173147.jpg.b2352f338dceffb27bdb5c85703de376.jpg

Just need another cab and sides to attack the other SK and then work on paint and the interior

Edited by Sophia NSE
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 08/06/2019 at 16:48, Sophia NSE said:

I put the roof down one day and the fairies in my room swiped it, never to be seen again!

:offtopic:

I started a Period 1 LMS BCK recently. Two days before I went on holiday I started a test fit of the slices but couldn't find one of them. Turned the room upside down but couldn't find it. Vacuumed the carpet with a transparent bagless cleaner and still no sign. After coming back from holiday I was doing something in the same room, got up from my chair, turned round and the missing panel was in the middle of the floor. Where it had been in the intervening two weeks is known only unto the Carpet Fairy who carefully placed it there.

• Funny 4

15 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

:offtopic:

I started a Period 1 LMS BCK recently. Two days before I went on holiday I started a test fit of the slices but couldn't find one of them. Turned the room upside down but couldn't find it. Vacuumed the carpet with a transparent bagless cleaner and still no sign. After coming back from holiday I was doing something in the same room, got up from my chair, turned round and the missing panel was in the middle of the floor. Where it had been in the intervening two weeks is known only unto the Carpet Fairy who carefully placed it there.

I've had similar experiences to this, you turn the room upside down, only for the missing object to appear in plain sight several days later.

I also think there's a rule of modelling that says when you look for something you've lost, you find the thing you lost before!

Back on thread these are interesting experiments with What-if units, always fascinating to see.

John.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

I've had similar experiences to this, you turn the room upside down, only for the missing object to appear in plain sight several days later.

I also think there's a rule of modelling that says when you look for something you've lost, you find the thing you lost before!

Back on thread these are interesting experiments with What-if units, always fascinating to see.

John.

You could always get the other half to look for it, which will take a minute tops, leaving you looking foolish!

Mind you my other half recently lost her car/house keys for TWO WEEKS. This lead to problems with her needing to borrow my keys - that meant planning in advance!

Then suddenly, she tells me she has found the things.

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, jonhall said:

You could consider the Triang mk1's as a base for cheap EMU bashing - the removable sides make chopping them up to move the windows around fairly easy. These are the left overs from a couple of 4CIG-ish conversions.

Jon

cigish.jpg.5ad87af802c8c255d9fde460705dcd79.jpg

Removable sides you say? That could make life a bit easier. I think I might have a pair of Triang mk1 chassis knocking about somewhere that I could do something with too...

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

I did notice that the Mainline sides are somewhat chunky while I was cutting.

You may have misunderstood me. What I was trying to say was the height of the windows from top to bottom isn’t as it should be.

Griff

• 1 month later...

Place the individual side, outside face down, on a pile of sheets of kitchen towel, and carefully (with gentle pressure) roll with a rolling pin until you get the desired curvature.

Ensure you roll parallel with the long edge.

Practice on a piece of scrap first....

Good luck.

If you're gluing the etches over the original body sides you shouldn't need loads of curve to allow the glue to grab the etch. Key both surfaces and leave clamped together for a good 48hrs.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...