LNWR London Road - Locomotives and rolling stock

On 03/06/2022 at 14:14, Coal Tank said:

It really is a beautiful model Jol and the paint is very very nice a bit late for me............. But

"Renown" itself was converted quite early; well that's my excuse for running it in 1912 anyway!

Edited by Brassey
typo
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Peter,

my Whitworth has a Mashima 1224 and LRM 50:1 gearbox, mounted below and in front of the rear axle with the motor inclined up into the firebox. As 1224s are no longer available I opted to use a HL coreless motor and Roadrunner Compact 45:1, in the same configuration.

Jol

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

A bit more progress, the cab sides, spectacle plate and splashers are now fitted. The cab sides and splashers needed only minor adjustment to fit closely but holding them while soldering onto the half-etched location on the running plate was a little less easy.

I prefer to make the boiler/smokebox removeable (bolted in place) but the kit doesn't support that or is easily modified. So the boiler will be soldered in place as designed.

1836157829_Cabandsplashersfitted.jpg.c6e998f01fb4c2922e036ddaecd0d5ac.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Hi Peter,

my Whitworth has a Mashima 1224 and LRM 50:1 gearbox, mounted below and in front of the rear axle with the motor inclined up into the firebox. As 1224s are no longer available I opted to use a HL coreless motor and Roadrunner Compact 45:1, in the same configuration.

Jol

Jol, Thanks for confirming that.  I got my Whitworth when the 1224 was still available and I too have a RoadRunner compact ready for that.  I've used the same configuration in my Special DX and Coal Engine having swapped out an LRM gearbox in the former.  Both run very well.  I also have an LRM Improved Precedent to build that has the same drive ready and waiting but having built the G Norton tender for the Whitworth, that is ahead of the queue.  I really must build some carriages, but your build here is inspiring me to abandon that and get on with the Whitworth. 

Presumably yours has a fixed rear axle and compensation on the front driver and carrying axle?

Peter

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi John,

that's the coal plate I usually fit, based on photos I saw when I started modelling the LNWR. I have never found any info on the use of the different coal plates, straight or curved, but haven't tried very hard.

Jol

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I went into this when I built my Coal Engine tender (must get back to that...). Various L&NWR Society modellers offered what seemed to be convincing photographic evidence that the rectangular plate was correct for c. 1902, so I made one from scrap etch:

588896574_LNW1800galtenderwithcoalrails.JPG.6eb812bcf717f3db66f171b6f6667ae2.JPG

(No claim made for the quality of the build otherwise.)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

No progress to report on locos and rolling stock for London Road as I have been concentrating on the layout and items domestique have been taking up too much time as well. I have also been revising LRM's four year old printed price list (guess why?) and designing some LRM motor mounts for a new coreless motor.

Despite not actually making any new stock, I have however been acquiring the odd kit in the optimistic belief I will actually get around to building them. They include a couple of Slaters MR vans and a David Geen GWR Mink, so that the wagon fleet is a bit more varied. I would like some more "odd" wagons to go with them. On the coaching front I now have a Modellers World D9 12 wheel Dining Carriage and a D63 12 wheel Brake Third. Whether these will actually get built (the D63 really needs the other handed D64  or D62 Bk/3rd and the D23/D22 Composites to go with it and I already have a D10 converted from a D9) remains to be seen. I think I read somewhere - but can-t remember where - that these kits may be reintroduced.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Coal Tank said:

Hi Jol, is it still possible to get hold of the 12 wheeler? 

John,

the Modellers World kits haven't been manufactured for many years. I bought the D9 that I converted to a D10 over thirty years ago while the MW shop in Coventry was still open.

They turn up occasionally on eBay but I got my new D9 and the D63  (that should probably be W63) through the S4 Society and RMWeb respectively.

As I said,  I read somewhere - but can't remember where - that these kits may be reintroduced. They are listed in the LNWR modellers reference page on 4mm carriage kits as also been available from 247 Developments. When Gary took over 247 I think they were still available (but not since 247 passed into Brain Mosby's ownership). I believe the previous owner, Errol Surman, kept the rights to them (although I don't think he owned the 12 wheelers at the time), allowing Gary to supply them when he ran 247. I think Mr Surman may however be somehow involved if/when the 12 wheelers are reintroduced.

The history of 4mm etched LNWR carriage kits and components from the "Midlands Modellers" as I think of them is somewhat confusing. Ralph Jackson supplied etched sides/ends, Brian Badger produced kits that appeared to use the same etched sides (these kits now available from Stephenson Carriages but are not refined by current kit standards).  Others, including Dave Gillot and possibly Pete Waterman, were involved. These were mainly 50ft and 57ft corridor stock, IIRC. 

Jol

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
typo
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

For those interested in such things, the LNWR Society have a revised website.

The 4mm modelling section, detailing the kits available for those interested in modelling the LNWR has been updated.

https://lnwrs.org.uk/4mm-scale-oo-em-p4-gauges

A few further amendments are required, when I can get around to them.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Amended text
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1