Tivoli Road

Captain Cuttle

• RMweb Gold

Evening Alan

Thanks for the offer of the lining. I am currently persevering with HMRS Pressfix and I personally struggle with these. If you have no further use for the ones you have please let me know and I will take them off your hands as I have three steel bodied Pullmans to line, please just let me know what & where to send the money.

As for your brake van have you tried Steve at Railtec, he is very good and if he don't do them he'll point you in the right direction. The RJH Class 47 looks stunning resting in the sun, nicely weathered and detailed.

Jim

On 15/05/2020 at 18:25, D6775 said:

That's looking good. I am planning to get out in the garden, but mine will likely be on brick walls filled in with topsoil and rockery.

Hi,

For me at my age this is not meant to be permanent but seemed a good idea, i studied asimilar one a G1 garden railway at the South Devon Rly where i volunteer but in hindsight would have altered it slightly but hey ho it will do for me.

Will be interested to see how you progress, how large is your garden?

Regards

Alan

On 17/05/2020 at 19:01, jcarta said:

Evening Alan

Thanks for the offer of the lining. I am currently persevering with HMRS Pressfix and I personally struggle with these. If you have no further use for the ones you have please let me know and I will take them off your hands as I have three steel bodied Pullmans to line, please just let me know what & where to send the money.

As for your brake van have you tried Steve at Railtec, he is very good and if he don't do them he'll point you in the right direction. The RJH Class 47 looks stunning resting in the sun, nicely weathered and detailed.

Jim

Jim,

I will have a look and see what i've got, which Pullman cars are you building?

Re the brakevan, i did email Steve  but got no reply then posted that on MIOG FB group and got called all the names under the sun! He did reply he said but i didnt get it, anyway no, he doesnt do them and couldnt help.

Re the 47, just a brass kit, i have built a lot of these, i quite like the look and the sound of a sulzer and remember them on the Cross Country trains and also on the Mule. Here is one i built for a friend a couple of years ago, he is a born and bred cockney.

I think your models do you credit, they are really good, did you add dcc into all of them.

I ran the 08 today over the garden section as i have cut the bridge down in width and adjusted it and i intend to add girdered sections  using Dapol [Airfix] girder bridge kits. I did similar to another garden railway  i had some years ago and it looked quite effective.. I will put some photos on here dreckly!

Alan

47580  21rs.jpg

crest.jpg

47580  22rs.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Jim,

I will have a look and see what i've got, which Pullman cars are you building?

Re the brakevan, i did email Steve  but got no reply then posted that on MIOG FB group and got called all the names under the sun! He did reply he said but i didnt get it, anyway no, he doesnt do them and couldnt help.

Re the 47, just a brass kit, i have built a lot of these, i quite like the look and the sound of a sulzer and remember them on the Cross Country trains and also on the Mule. Here is one i built for a friend a couple of years ago, he is a born and bred cockney.

I think your models do you credit, they are really good, did you add dcc into all of them.

I ran the 08 today over the garden section as i have cut the bridge down in width and adjusted it and i intend to add girdered sections  using Dapol [Airfix] girder bridge kits. I did similar to another garden railway  i had some years ago and it looked quite effective.. I will put some photos on here dreckly!

Alan

47580  21rs.jpg

Evening Alan

The Pullmans left to line are: 1st Parlour / Kitchen (Lydia) & 3rd Brake (No48) my other one is yet to be sent.....

That's a shame about the brakevan, have you tried Fox Transfers?

I have to admit I do like a 47 and as I think one of the nicest liveries was the Scotrail version. As you might have guessed I am very partial to a Class 40.... Yes all my stock has been fitted with DCC sound chips from various suppliers but the Class 40 always gives me goose bumps when it starts up & clag belching from the exhausts.

The Class 47 looks superb and the detail is second to none, here is a picture of 47580 I took a couple of years ago. Looking forward to seeing some more pictures of your railway.

Jim

ELR_Diesel_Gala_20140705_(6).jpg

12 hours ago, jcarta said:

Evening Alan

The Pullmans left to line are: 1st Parlour / Kitchen (Lydia) & 3rd Brake (No48) my other one is yet to be sent.....

That's a shame about the brakevan, have you tried Fox Transfers?

I have to admit I do like a 47 and as I think one of the nicest liveries was the Scotrail version. As you might have guessed I am very partial to a Class 40.... Yes all my stock has been fitted with DCC sound chips from various suppliers but the Class 40 always gives me goose bumps when it starts up & clag belching from the exhausts.

The Class 47 looks superb and the detail is second to none, here is a picture of 47580 I took a couple of years ago. Looking forward to seeing some more pictures of your railway.

Jim

ELR_Diesel_Gala_20140705_(6).jpg

Jim,

Car 48 is not a brake car and Lydia is not an all steel parlour. Car 48 was called Cosmo Bonsor and was a kitchen car ending up as a camping coach in the 1950s and Lydia was wooden bodied and a parlour 1st.

See below is Lydia on the Bournemouth Belle

Alan

Lydia on the Bournmouth Belle 1965.jpg

18 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Hi,

For me at my age this is not meant to be permanent but seemed a good idea, i studied asimilar one a G1 garden railway at the South Devon Rly where i volunteer but in hindsight would have altered it slightly but hey ho it will do for me.

Will be interested to see how you progress, how large is your garden?

Regards

Alan

Been to the SDR many a time but never really took much time to look at the smaller railways! I was always too interested in the full size ones! 

Garden is about 25' x 40-45' Planning something like a 12' x 25' figure of 8 if possible. I'm on leave this week so we're going to go and see if we can sort out a shed, once that's done I'll start digging a base for it as the shed and deck out the front will determine the flower beds/railway!! If we can get the structural work done this year it will be a good start. Unfortunately I am no builder, but I know a man who can!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Jim,

Car 48 is not a brake car and Lydia is not an all steel parlour. Car 48 was called Cosmo Bonsor and was a kitchen car ending up as a camping coach in the 1950s and Lydia was wooden bodied and a parlour 1st.

See below is Lydia on the Bournemouth Belle

Alan

Evening Alan

I'm glad you know your Pullmans.....

I have attached two pictures first is yet to be started but the box states that it is a 3rd Brake.

IMG_5797.JPG.7e2fddfb77db47dc62312a6551e9f26a.JPG

And the 2second one is a 1st Class kitchen Parlour, which need stripping and painting

IMG_5795.JPG.1e6678b2f646b27cb2673279cf43cf34.JPG

Be grateful if you can have a look to see what numbers / names they should have.

Jim

Jim,

Built some of these as brake 2nds, here are three below Car 62, 63, 65 these are not all steel. Note the different height of the guards window nearest the end, i think i made a plasticard insert.

Could you post the other side of the 1st parlour kitchen so i can see the window layout?

What do you think of Peter Cowlings Pullmans, i think they are exquisite and hard to believe they are all plastikard!

Incidentally how do i add the link to my workbench on here as i put it in recently but it isnt showing like yours is.

I tried Fox for brake van transfers but apart from alphabet sheets they couldnt help but i dont know which font was used.

Alan

car 62 and joan rs.jpg

Car 63 resized.jpg

car 65.jpg

Car 63 detail resized.jpg

• Like 1

On 23/05/2020 at 18:02, jcarta said:

Evening Alan

I'm glad you know your Pullmans.....

I have attached two pictures first is yet to be started but the box states that it is a 3rd Brake.

IMG_5797.JPG.7e2fddfb77db47dc62312a6551e9f26a.JPG

And the 2second one is a 1st Class kitchen Parlour, which need stripping and painting

IMG_5795.JPG.1e6678b2f646b27cb2673279cf43cf34.JPG

Be grateful if you can have a look to see what numbers / names they should have.

Jim

Penelope or Octavia would be ok with the truss underframe if you want an all steel  then Evadne or Phyllis. Brake cars all steel 69 or 79 which is preserved.

Alan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Alan, and to get my knowledge up I have purchased the book on "The all steel K type cars by Antony M Ford

Jim

Edited by jcarta

5 hours ago, jcarta said:

Thanks Alan, and to get my knowledge up I have purchased the book on "The all steel K type cars by Antony M Ford

Jim

Jim,

I was a Pullman Society member some years ago  and Antony Ford came here and brought some Pullman table lamps to show me as i had a fascination for car 303 which was a 1951 built 2nd kit used on the Golden Arrow. I also had that book you mentioned and the K Type Cars one but as i dont build them anymore and my wife and i run the Museum Emporium on the SDR i donated them for our stall. I still have over a hundred photos though including the names of the cars i mentioned to you. I look forward to see how you modify them and i have a lot of Pullman castings which maybe of use to you, i will have alook tomorrow and see whats there.

Had the first run round the whole railway in the garden with the Gronk pulling five parcel vans and four milk tankers, one hiccup on a curve with slight track realignment required now sorted.

Alan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Jim,

I was a Pullman Society member some years ago  and Antony Ford came here and brought some Pullman table lamps to show me as i had a fascination for car 303 which was a 1951 built 2nd kit used on the Golden Arrow. I also had that book you mentioned and the K Type Cars one but as i dont build them anymore and my wife and i run the Museum Emporium on the SDR i donated them for our stall. I still have over a hundred photos though including the names of the cars i mentioned to you. I look forward to see how you modify them and i have a lot of Pullman castings which maybe of use to you, i will have alook tomorrow and see whats there.

Had the first run round the whole railway in the garden with the Gronk pulling five parcel vans and four milk tankers, one hiccup on a curve with slight track realignment required now sorted.

Alan

Wow Alan..... I bet you and Antony had a lot to talk about regarding the Pullman's and the table lamps must have been a nice touch. I have just perused through the book this afternoon whilst sitting in the garden and there is so much to get my head around regarding this stock, it's a bit of a large mine field. Any help I can tap into is greatly appreciated. I have the castings that came with the Westdale kits but some spares are always useful, as for pictures these are just invaluable to the modeller. One question if I may, I find that the coach seems to sit high on the bogies, probably 5mm higher than Heljan mark 1's and to reduce the height I was thinking of cutting a section out of the MDF chassis so the wheels can sit within the chassis thus reducing the height unless you have a different resolution. 

As for the newsletter, I was unaware of this. Be grateful if you can send a link for the magazine.

It's good to hear about the gronk pulling the parcel van's around this afternoon....... I bet you sat under that exotic lineside tree.

Jim

• RMweb Premium
On 02/08/2019 at 21:37, Captain Cuttle said:

Jim,

The top sections and vertical side pieces are screwed and glued together first and are 12mm WBP outdoor ply. I got a good deal from Civil Solutions a local independant  building supplier.

The paint is called BlackJack from Toolstation and is bitumen roof felt adhesive, I used stainless steel screws throughout which i bought from Ebay.

Alan

Alan

Thanks for the above info. Can I ask whether the horizontal timber linking to vertical posts (and supporting the plywood) is ordinary softwood or is it treated timber?

3 hours ago, Ray H said:

Alan

Thanks for the above info. Can I ask whether the horizontal timber linking to vertical posts (and supporting the plywood) is ordinary softwood or is it treated timber?

Do you mean the triangular pieces on the first section all ply was WPB but on the second half all was marine ply all treated with Bird Brand spirit based fence preservative.

Ray,

Sorry i thought i was replying to Jim! Yes its all treated timber, i find ordinary planed 2x2 is okay as the section between my two sheds has this and as its sheltered and now partially under cover is fine but i would always recommend treated timber. I think you can get some guaranteed for fifteen years but would check that out with your local supplier. Again i prefer the spirit based fence preservative as it soaks into the wood instead of just sitting on the top. The danger zones are the edges of the ply panels and always try and cover with hot bonded felt. I didnt on the first half and it has caused some issues.

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jcarta said:

Wow Alan..... I bet you and Antony had a lot to talk about regarding the Pullman's and the table lamps must have been a nice touch. I have just perused through the book this afternoon whilst sitting in the garden and there is so much to get my head around regarding this stock, it's a bit of a large mine field. Any help I can tap into is greatly appreciated. I have the castings that came with the Westdale kits but some spares are always useful, as for pictures these are just invaluable to the modeller. One question if I may, I find that the coach seems to sit high on the bogies, probably 5mm higher than Heljan mark 1's and to reduce the height I was thinking of cutting a section out of the MDF chassis so the wheels can sit within the chassis thus reducing the height unless you have a different resolution. 

As for the newsletter, I was unaware of this. Be grateful if you can send a link for the magazine.

It's good to hear about the gronk pulling the parcel van's around this afternoon....... I bet you sat under that exotic lineside tree.

Jim

Jim,

I didnt sit under our Torbay palm as my gaugemaster controller only has a short ribbon lead, a friend took some video on his phone whilst i was ensuring it all stayed on the track.

Re the height issues , does it have the correct diameter wheels, how does the bogie attach to the floor.

I have some photos on my other pc, i will try and upload them, i deleted loads of photos, dwgs etc as i thought i wont need to refer to them will i..................................! I remember the Bachmann Mk 1s always were too high and reduced the height of the bogie cross member cured those.

Yes Antony had many stories on the Pullmans, did you know that table lamps were only fitted post war and in a sort of celluloid material, green, pink or off white.

Alan

Just now, Captain Cuttle said:

Jim,

I didnt sit under our Torbay palm as my gaugemaster controller only has a short ribbon lead, a friend took some video on his phone whilst i was ensuring it all stayed on the track.

Re the height issues , does it have the correct diameter wheels, how does the bogie attach to the floor.

I have some photos on my other pc, i will try and upload them, i deleted loads of photos, dwgs etc as i thought i wont need to refer to them will i..................................! I remember the Bachmann Mk 1s always were too high and reduced the height of the bogie cross member cured those.

Yes Antony had many stories on the Pullmans, did you know that table lamps were only fitted post war and in a sort of celluloid material, green, pink or off white.

Alan

Here some pix of interiors and underframe, Juana is all steel.

interior  3.jpg

Juana  floor plan  1rs.jpg

Juana  end floor   1rs.jpg

Juana end floor   2rs.jpg

juana interior rs.jpg

Car 303 - 'tea anyone' resized.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Alan

A great selection of photo's on the building of a Pullman coach. You certainly have gone the extra mile on the interiors, some great little extra's that have added the personal touch i.e. the headrest covers, toilet, but the waiter nailed it for me (definately going to buy a few of him).

The bogies that I am using are the Wayoh ones that came with the kit and they in turn are sitting on easybuild axles / wheels (3'7") all attached to 6mm MDF.

I have noticed that where the coach ends attach to the MDF on yours you have filed down the MDF by a few mm as shown in picture 3 & 4 so I assume that the body will now sit slightly lower and in turn this will hide part of the sole bar by a couple of mm's, which is what I am trying to achieve as I find that the sole bar is quite big. I have also noticed that the sole bar on yours is cut short and doesn't run up to the buffer beam as shown in picture 6.

Looking at your pictures this has given me a lot of answers to the building of these coaches. I didn't know that the lamps were fitted after the war, another thing that I have learnt.

Jim

Edited by jcarta

• RMweb Gold

Alan

I have sorted the height issue out ....... 07:30 hours this morning I was in the garage filing the MDF ends down and now the Pullman body sits lower and looks more presentable also I have cut the sole bar to the correct length.

I have manage to locate some waiters so these are duly on order.

Jim

Edited by jcarta

Jim,

You are keen, this what Pullmans do for you and they look so regal when finished. I used to get a lot of parts from Peter Cowling as he does a list of coach parts, i heard he has built over five hundred of his Pullman cars now quite an achievement if you want his details let me know.

This is the list of all the Coupe News  and includes the preserved ans specials,  this will keep you occupied for months to come. Each issue does a depth detailed article of a particular Pullman starting from no. 1.

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/coupe/

The reason i didnt take the solebars to the ends is looking at a photo of the bogie side on they were too far under the car.

Jim,  re the interiors, they are not headrests but antimacassars  and the catering staff are stewards!

If you are modelling kitchen cars you need the double gas tanks which sit between the battery boxes.

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Alan

Well today has been spent stripping down the Kitchen Car and tomorrow I will start to on the interior. I have got double gas tanks on the chassis and with your research on the Pullmans that I have I am going to go with 'Penelope'. I have ordered up a Steward so the passengers get a first class service. That's quite unbelievable the Peter Cowling has built 500 odd Pullman Cars, I suppose he must be pretty good at it now. If you could forward his details that would be great, just in case I need the odd spare part. Mind you his Pullmans are to die for......

This is how far I got today.

IMG_5908.jpg.a32774a79f26e2d8743dcdf4e63fab08.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good, all mine had white metal ends which i preferred. I will send pix of Penelope 2 morro. The vents nearest need to be turned 90 degrees.

Peter Cowling made his own lining using brown packing tape sprayed yellow and cut into strips 

• 4 weeks later...