New Layout based on Longton Bridge Station, Lancashire

Savoyard

• RMweb Gold

In March last year (2018) I moved to Longton and the back garden touches the former track bed of the West Lancashire Railway Preston to Southport line, so I thought one of the local stations may make a good subject for a layout. I had the shed built when I moved in but for twelve months or so it was just used for storage until March when I finally got the shed insulated and panelled out.

So I now set about re-igniting my modelling mo-jo and after a year of no modelling I started to plan my next layout. Initially I was going to incorporate my old Rederring layout but decided against this and start a fresh with a new layout, so looking at the two Longton Stations (Longton Bridge and New Longton & Hutton) I decided on Longton Bridge Station. Using the side by side map provided by the National Library of Scotland I looked at the station plan and with the help of AnyRail I was able to draw up a track plan, which I adapted to suit the constraints of the shed, in this case just over 19' long and a 2' depth.

I am using PECO Bullhead rail with and some of the points are the Bullhead points, the rest of the points for the time being will be PECO Code 75 or Tillig as I've a few of them spare. I plan to replace these by either using the PECO version, this will apply to the Single Slp, or scratch build my own when I have more time. My intention is to get the track work in place and play with, whoops I meant test it! :)

Here is an early attempt at the track plan with the original track plan on a map. The plan has been tweaked since then.

1860616079_ShedLayoutLongtonBridgeStationwithoriginalplan.jpg.678e290c274620c335b156ef4f13f635.jpg

Having got all the base boards in place I printed out the track plan to scale and it seemed to work OK.

IMG_1205.jpg.dcc45c8e4576980a982fc10c415e1efd.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg.23d7573801656f160708ea6ff549d09c.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg.c74b8a28e03414e361cb4f19961ffb06.jpg

I've now laid the cork and started laying the track, more pics to follow....

Edited by Peter Crichton (Savoyard)
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Third time lucky and so after three attempts (the main board was in danger of having more holes than a swiss cheese), I think I have the track plan that I want and gives the essence of Longton Bridge Station.

Track is now laid and ready for wiring.

Test run with a converted Bachmann Radial Tank, it's been back in the workshop for over two years or more but I will be finishing it off once the track has all been laid on the rest of the layout.

And Trap Points fitted.

I have used Peco Bullhead track and points where I can, the rest are a mixture of PECO Code 75 and Tillig which I plan to replace when alternatives become or available or I have time to build them.

Edited by Peter Crichton (Savoyard)
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

Late to the party, so I'm not sure if this is still on the go!

I lived in Hutton and then Longton as a child in the 60s and "collected" many relics from the railway after it shut. I notice you've said you are using bullhead rail, but many of my relics were the J clamps used on flat bottom rail which is borne out by photos of the line in the 60s showing FB rail on the main line. However you've not said what era the model is in and the sidings may well be BH!

I've always wondered why no-one has made a model of Fishergate Hill Station in Preston, it seemed and interesting prototype and I ca remember sneaking into it in the 70s!