Insight into Heljan

34theletterbetweenB&D

With my quality management hat on, regarding the rendering of general appearance of their models, I would like to run a thought past the forum. Bear in mind that the only Heljan model I have is the class 15, which appears to be pretty much 'right' all round. I was very interested when the 47 first came out, but one look was enough, it just isn't right despite the excellent mechanism and so was not purchased: don't know enough about the other classes to really have a view.

It seems to me that the hits and misses in Heljan's range are running roughly 50:50.

The 47 infamously tubby, the 33/0, the 52, and now the 86 all the subject of what appears to be justifiable criticism.

Meanwhile the 17, 26/27, 33/1 and 33/2, 35 and now 15 have all been well received in terms of body shape. (Not considering mechanical qualities here.)

(Don't know how the 58, 14, Falcon and Kestrel fall, but Falcon doesn't quite 'do it' for me and I have seen some criticism of errors on the 14. As for the rolling stock, complete ignorance.)

What this makes me wonder is whether there are two largely independent teams (or even individuals as it is I believe a small family firm) developing Heljan models. Thoughts?

I don't know about that, but I do wonder what makes a foreign (Danish?) firm decide to produce a range of obscure British diesel classes and prototypes. Not that I'm complaining though, I'm delighted with my class 15 and looking forward to the baby Deltic.

Ed

My thoughts on the 33/0: it's a very good model. I'd heard allot of criticism about the roof, so I was reluctant to buy one. However I was so impressed with my first 33/0 that I've already got another one ordered :D . OK, so the roof profile isn't quite right. But so what? It still looks like a Crompton to me and it's certainly better than any other available 33/0. I just wish they would stop putting those black lamp irons on them though!

Likewise with the Western. The baseball cap doesn't look right. But it still looks jolly much like a Western to me!

I can't really comment on the 47 as I haven't had a chance to compare them side by side with the Bachmann and/or Vitrains versions. Needless to say it's far better than the old Lima one though.

Guest jim s-w

you should change the topic title to 'speculation into Heljan' as there is no insight here at all. :blink:

Just a thought. ;)

Cheers

Jim

If anyone has some facts to add to this debate then please feel free to contact the admin team. Until then this topic can stay closed, it does not help build good relations with manufacturers when opinions and facts are mixed up.

Archived