RMweb

A very simple figure 8 layout

Mattawa

Hello everyone,

Thanks for adding me as a new member. I'm NOT a talented railway modeller. I'm just playing with my toys (that's what SWMBO always says).

Just for the fun, I built this small 00 gauge figure 8 layout (1.27m x 0.67m). I mixed Fleischmann, Peco and Hornby track sections. I used a Bachmann DC controller. That's all !

1449846199_FOE01.jpg.f1c7fef94edc0488b48bc66e0db8dbeb.jpg

Edited by Mattawa
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Welcome to the insanity, Mattawa.  There’s quite a bit that can be done to expand on your classic figure 8; if you have room, straight sections can extend the ‘run’, loops or sidings will enable you to have more locos on the layout, each running in turn.  This is the genesis of a timetable and ‘proper’ operation. 

A bit of basic scenery soon brings things to life, and you are at the top of the slippery slope to the kind of obsessive behaviour some of us indulge in; I recall asking a question here a while ago about the spacing of fence posts and thinking it really was time I got a life; got my answer, though!

As you gain experience, and skill, you will no doubt look at and be inspired by more prototypical track plans.  

My advice, FWIW, is to enjoy yourself primarily, and ask questions on this or similar website.  Don’t be fazed by some of them sounding basic; we’ve all done it (in spades) and the only daft question is the one you haven’t asked.  

A pug and open wagons suggests some sort of mining or quarry operation, and you can do a lot worse than follow that path; some of the best modelling I’ve ever seen has been of this sort.  Early to make this sort of decision yet, though; explore the alternatives, work within your space and budgetary limitations, which will need SWMBO’s cooperation, and remember a good small layout bests a bad big’un any day.  

Good luck and keep in touch!  I’m not a talented railway modeller either, but with a lot of help from people here I’ve cobbled up a layout  that is satisfying to operate and gives me huge satisfaction; it’s a pretty basic affair but has an imagined life of it’s own, proving that you do not need more than middling levels of skill and ability to achieve decent results.  

Not saying that better standards than I can achieve aren’t worth attempting to emulate, mind!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Welcome to the asylum, the guys on here are really helpful.

I wouldn’t have gotten as far as I have without  their help and collective knowledge

1 hour ago, Mattawa said:

For the record, I'm a big fan of the KISS principle.

I didn't know Gene Simmons was into the hobby too

568379A8-CB2F-4101-A551-94D80505B903.jpeg

• Funny 3

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

This is a figure 8 but has been folded over in order to maximise the space.

20131205_Figure8_800.jpg.8c78fe0c525e228d1da61255bdd90038.jpg

The centre square is an access hatch.

Cheers

Jack