Hornby Belmond British Pullman recreation

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

I decided to add this as its own topic as the Belmond pack is due for release this year. I posted this on the 2019 announcements thread but I think it merits its own thread too for those wishing to recreate the train. 

My rake consists of the following 

R1038/1073 K-Type

1st parlour Minerva

1st parlour Cygnus

1st kitchen Ibis 

1st parlour Phoenix (renamed)

1st parlour Perseus (renamed)

Now this is where it gets a bit tricky. I bought 3 R4513 Brighton Belle Coaches, but needed 3 of the R4871 Brighton Belle 1st Class parlour chassis to enable the use of NEM couplers without major modifications to the original R4513 as they had the special couplings. Using the original bodies on the new chassis saved me trying to colour match the roof for a repaint. These were renamed as 

1st kitchen Gwen

1st kitchen Vera

1st kitchen Audrey

The rake will also consist of the following once the pack is released 

R3750 All Steel K-Type

1st parlour Zena

1st parlour Lucille

1st kitchen Ione

You will also need a Mk1 BG modified to have the generator vents on either side, possibly using 3D printing to replicate the vents, and a Mk1 BSK with a slightly modified window arrangement. If you want to back date it somewhat you could add the Ex-LNER Full Brake too. Hornbys full brake isn’t an exact match for the Ex-Pigeon Van that was used but once painted and lined its close enough. 

Some of the Pullman’s aren’t exact replicas as the window arrangements were slightly altered and some of the bogies were swapped during overhaul for use on the BP. But overall this gives a pretty good recreation with minimal effort. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I got a close up look at Minerva today, I was surprised at the amount of rot along the roofline.. in true Pullman style it’s painted over, but it’s bubbling considerably where the roof meets the gutter stripe.

its bad form to take close ups of it, so instead I got one of the attendant, the carpet and the coach name board 

Note the differing styles of door way between Minerva and the one next to it, Phoenix.

Edited by adb968008

26 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

AD965921-2370-4E23-BB2E-2BA587AD5671.jpeg

Note the differing styles of door way between Minerva and the one next to it, Phoenix.

Not sure what you mean by the different styles of the doorways. Are you referring to the cutout of Minerva's roof? If so, look at the other end of Phoenix (where the name board and woman in the pink dress are), seems the same.

• RMweb Gold
On 06/07/2019 at 23:09, truffy said:

Not sure what you mean by the different styles of the doorways. Are you referring to the cutout of Minerva's roof? If so, look at the other end of Phoenix (where the name board and woman in the pink dress are), seems the same.

Not true, I just reviewed the video of it arriving, the doorway of Phoenix is the same both ends.

see here..

https://www.kentrail.org.uk/phoenix_pullman.htm

vs Minerva.., which is different.

Edited by adb968008

Phoenix - as the name suggests - was rebuilt from a fire-damaged vehicle in the then-current ( 1951-ish ) style with  continuous roofline over the doors, shallower main windows and 'square' lavatory windows ............ the latter were changed by VSOE who - among other modifications - replaced most of the bogies with more 'modern' ones. ( Stylistically, Wrenn made a fair job of a 'true' 1951 Pullman - but it was far too short etc.etc.etc. )

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi,

I've not posted here for a very long time owing to other things always seemingly cropping up, however.....I'm very encouraged to get back to work on my Stewart's Lane VSOE fleet since seeing your topic. 

So, although my main interest is modelling the home where the VSOE Pullmans live, in central London, I have been building up a collection of these vehicles and hope you will find some pictures interesting....

I'm liking your thinking of how you can make up the 'main' Pullman rake, albeit missing some accuracy in terms of detail, although, lets face it, the Hornby Pullman colours are one of the biggest problems in recreating this train, the smaller details can be worked on over time ?

Good luck with your project, I'll be watching with interest....

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

20161129_145940.jpg

20161129_150037.jpg

DMCSL (2).JPG

DMCSL (3).JPG

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Oh wow, lovely...

Was that GUV lined ?

err...yes, the GUV is indeed lined but I chickened out trying to actually copy it!

This one isn't used nowadays, it was retired a few years into my fledgling career...

image.png.08d3bb4655d598d971f2b7580474352e.png

...along with Mk1 BSK 99538 ( Baggage Car 9 ) which has been replaced with 99545, the one with a saloon window plated over and still in use today.

image.png.3e79c31255e1d42e4e43ea76a00d5976.png

( NOT MY PHOTO??? )

image.png.251d9e5695dcc4d5d45176b8e0a2a8a3.png

Thanks,

Shed.

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Shedmaster said:

err...yes, the GUV is indeed lined but I chickened out trying to actually copy it!

This one isn't used nowadays, it was retired a few years into my fledgling career...

image.png.08d3bb4655d598d971f2b7580474352e.png

...along with Mk1 BSK 99538 ( Baggage Car 9 ) which has been replaced with 99545, the one with a saloon window plated over and still in use today.

image.png.3e79c31255e1d42e4e43ea76a00d5976.png

( NOT MY PHOTO??? )

image.png.251d9e5695dcc4d5d45176b8e0a2a8a3.png

Thanks,

Shed.

You could try railtec transfers for the GUV,they have come up good on a great many one off challenges..reasonable price too.

http://www.railtec-models.com/faq.php

Edited by adb968008

On 11/07/2019 at 18:26, adb968008 said:

You could try railtec transfers for the GUV,they have come up good on a great many one off challenges..reasonable price too.

http://www.railtec-models.com/faq.php

Hi,

Railtec have indeed already produced some excellent work for my project here. For example the 'Baggage Car 8' labels were adjusted from the original product on request, which I think was a '9' rather than the '8'.

I'm currently setting up a full VSOE rake again with the intention of making the details right as I go along, coach by coach, just like VSOE did and then do a full re-livery and lining project at the end, which I hope to approach Railtec for help with this.

Of course, by the time my ideas become reality, one of the major manufacturers will have announced a full RTR and properly painted version......

Thanks,

Shed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2019 at 10:40, Shedmaster said:

Hi,

Railtec have indeed already produced some excellent work for my project here. For example the 'Baggage Car 8' labels were adjusted from the original product on request, which I think was a '9' rather than the '8'.

I'm currently setting up a full VSOE rake again with the intention of making the details right as I go along, coach by coach, just like VSOE did and then do a full re-livery and lining project at the end, which I hope to approach Railtec for help with this.

Of course, by the time my ideas become reality, one of the major manufacturers will have announced a full RTR and properly painted version......

Thanks,

Shed. 

Mmmm! That didn't take long...

On further investigation of what is required for this project, I've decided that I just don't want to get into this level of work. The vehicles I have managed to acquire I'm very happy with, but the remaining Pullmans will have to be left for now.

Best of luck with your project, I do still think this will be one to watch.....

Kindest Regards,

Shed.