Genesee & Wyoming

A consortium of Brookfield Infrastructure, GIC and Brookfield’s institutional partners has agreed to acquire short line group Genesee & Wyoming Inc in a US$8·4bn transaction.

Reminder:- this is the company that has 95% of Freightliner.

https://www.railwaygazette.com/news/business/single-view/view/genesee-wyoming-to-be-acquired-in-84bn-deal.html

• Informative/Useful 2

Wonder if the G & W branding and livery will survive as an identity. 

I was sort of hoping at least one 86/6 would make it into G&W, but it rather looks as though they will be toast in the next year or two. 

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Wonder if the G & W branding and livery will survive as an identity. 

I was sort of hoping at least one 86/6 would make it into G&W, but it rather looks as though they will be toast in the next year or two. 

Im sure that Brookfield will look at its assets carefully and in the great scheme of things, repainting into a new house colour scheme is very low on the priority list.  If any electrics are going to be repainted soon, it will be the ex GA Class 90’s when they come over to Freightliner.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Among their Canadian portfolio is the Cape Breton & Nova Scotia Central Railway,including the moribund Sydney Division, with which I was very familiar 5yrs ago. It will be interesting to see what they, like G&W, make of it.

I offered to buy it on behalf of our society for $1 with all liabilities but they declined. The Nova Scotia provincial govt are still paying them to keep it in case a ULCV container port is developed at Sydney NS, much more profitable for them.

https://www.gwrr.com/railroads/north_america/cape_breton_central_nova_scotia_railway#m_tab-one-panel

Dava

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2