RECENT NORTH WEST STEAM TITLES

paul 27

Looking to purchase these books would like reviews, are these more to do with rail tours which

I am not too interested in or is there more every day workings such as  freight ect,  thanks in advance,   Titles, 

British Railways Steam 1968  The Final Chapter.

Remembering Steam  The End Of British Railway Steam In Photos.

Edited by paul 27

British Railways Steam 1968  The Final Chapters is a good entertaining read albeit Steve Leyland's idiosyncratic writing style takes some getting used to! It's profusely illustrated but isn't primarily a photo album and many of the photographs are reproduced quite small. That said, a number of shots are allowed a full page each and I would particularly commend those contributed by Ian Simpson, who deserves to be better known as a railway photographer (he authored a series of articles in Steam World magazine in the lead up to the 40th anniversary of the end of steam, if anyone remembers those). Regarding the rail tour content, this is fairly minimal except at the very end where the events of 4th and 11th August are covered. The number of shots depicting rail tours is in the low 20s, and most of these are concentrated in the last dozen or so pages.

I have seen the other book you mention but don't own it, so I really can't comment on that one.

Bill

• Agree 1