3 hours ago, Jerry1975 said:

I got lucky at a car boot sale, a bloke was selling of various items from his fathers layout and just wanted rid of it.

He had a plastic storage box full so I asked how much are the buildings, expecting him to say £5 each or something and got a real surprise when he said you can have the lot for £4, there was 10 various buildings so I snapped them up, I just want rid of them he said.

Who'd miss an opportunity like that! It's clearly the perfect starting point for your kit-bashing; that goods shed looks excellent. I think with that steep roof though it would benefit from some gutters and downpipes, otherwise the rain will drip straight onto the platform! I find the sprues left over from plastic kits can often be used here, once cleaned up a bit.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do next. And I hope we can all share some of your luck!

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks TechnicArrow.

I am going to add gutters etc to the buildings and your sprue idea is good.

I got a complete super quick station, platforms etc for £9 which wasn't too bad I thought and I'm in the process of adding it to the layout.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone.

I have added the station to the layout and started ballasting, here are a few photos of the layout as it looks now:

WP_20190725_046.jpg.eb705b789d5888cc0d037563110dfed4.jpg

Ballasting commencing

WP_20190725_047.jpg.bd9db780c0b01b8012b0441461e27e14.jpg

Overall view

WP_20190725_049.jpg.d302acfcd50913fe2bb129de924240cc.jpg

helicopter view

Need to finish ballasting and then work on scenery will commence.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 10

Jerry, I really like the fact that there is plenty of scenic space behind the station, which gives it a real sense of being a railway within a landscape; something that can be hard to achieve in a micro layout. More commonly it seems that micros tend to have very little space at the rear and all of the structures and scenics there are in low relief. I may have to rethink my own plans now ;)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/07/2019 at 06:17, Jerry1975 said:

Thanks 1722.

I got lucky at a car boot sale, a bloke was selling of various items from his fathers layout and just wanted rid of it.

He had a plastic storage box full so I asked how much are the buildings, expecting him to say £5 each or something and got a real surprise when he said you can have the lot for £4, there was 10 various buildings so I snapped them up, I just want rid of them he said.

It's amazing what you can find if you look at car boots, table top sales, model railway shows and even very occasionally in charity shops.

Jerry.

Fantastic find Jerry, especially 10 buildings for £4.

• Thanks 1

Hi Everyone.

Thank you for all of your replies, likes etc.

It's been a bit difficult to model due to the heat, I do well in heat but it's cooling down so modelling will commence after I post this.

With this layout I wanted to model a bit more scenery than I usually do and also to see what I could build from leftovers, things obtained cheaply from car boots, model shows etc.

I didn't really plan the layout to much, I knew what I wanted but used what I had rather than purchase specific items.

Next jobs is finish ballasting, make a crane as I don't think the coal yard looks right ( to cramped. ) and start on overbridge or tunnel.

Here is a quick photo of how it looks now:

WP_20190726_005.jpg.a11941d1e36ced5cc995884888d1d77a.jpg

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 7

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 09:29, OOman said:

Great modelling as always Jerry, I look forward to seeing your next update.:good_mini:

Thanks OOman, very kind of you to say so.

Hi everyone.

I been busy painting figures for the layout and I have nearly finished the ballasting, I will post a photo later.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone.

I have managed to do some more to the layout today.

I ballasted the area around the signal box and added a hut plus a grounded van in the goods yard, I also added some weeds, bushes etc.

The grounded van cost me 50p, I did splash out a bit today on a yard crane and some platform seats £8.20 for both so I was being extravagant ( for me ) lol.

Here are some photos of latest work:

WP_20190729_002.jpg.2c71f01c20d2782b1bfd0b8888e0e70e.jpg

Overall view

WP_20190729_003.jpg.76e678b7dbe78646c0a9aff2fc955a0d.jpg

Close up of signal box and hut.

WP_20190729_004.jpg.553b1c5e42bc0942b230da9b7ee20e38.jpg

Close up of hut and grounded van.

and a photo of the crane I need to make and put on the layout:

WP_20190729_001.jpg.5550c3704b1aa0805ff6f0363c59d823.jpg

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 8

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 20:33, OOman said:

Jerry this little layout is looking really good, your crane will look great just like the one you built in Diddy Yard.:good_mini:

Thanks OOman,

Yeah, it's the same crane, I really this kit and I have now built it up and painted it.

I am going to make a small loading area for it with steps and I will post a photo later.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 2

Thanks OOman.

Next thing I'm going to build / possibly modify a building, is a police station as I have a collection of police vehicles from various era's so I could display some outside.

I also need to weather the goods yard ground cover too.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 1

Hi everyone.

Not done anything to this since last post, been busy with other things.

I am going to build a few more buildings and finish off the station area over the weekend as the weekend looks awful weather wise.

Jerry.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...