Loco sheds

Sol

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 11:36, Sol said:

In the days of steam, were there small stations that may have had a steam loco with coal & water facilities but no shed?

I was thinking of having such a facility on one of my stations but don't have room for a shed.

Supplementary question, what was the largest allocation at a 'shed' that had no loco shed building as such?

I can offer Bishop's Stortford (30C), which I believe was up to 11 allocated just before the end of steam, and never enjoyed a loco shed building during the BR period at least.

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

Water lifting gear was pretty well standard on ROAD locomotives and I'm sure I've come across it somewhere on rails - quite possibly within Colonel Stephens empire. Titfield Thunderbolt would have been a far less entertaining film if the GWR had fitted it to 1400s !

Yes, At the Brecon Mountain Railway, the original loco equipment was enabled to lift water if required. By manipulating the injectors, you could 'flood' an injector, with the resultant excess being diverted into a tank if required. Both British & German trench locomotives had this capability. BSS used to stock these, under the 'Penberthy' name.