Ranelagh Bridge, Paddington

18B

morning, 

further to the interesting thread on Cambridge Street, 

Would anyone happen to have similar info or details for Ranelagh Bridge? the engine shed directory lists it as closing in around 1976 and yet pics on flickr suggest it went on for much longer? 

would anyone happen to have lists of what they saw on there? 

Class 22, 35, 42, 47, 50 and 52 seem the common types.... 

The trackwork was still intact when I was at Old Oak in '83, not sure when the last movement on or off the depot took place though. Locos using it during the entire diesel era at Padd would have been 08, 22, 31, 35, 37, 41 (D6XXs), 42, 43, 45 (once in a blue moon but more likely to go down to Old Oak), 47, 50, 52, 53 (D0280 / 1200 'Falcon').

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, 18B said:

morning, 

further to the interesting thread on Cambridge Street, 

Would anyone happen to have similar info or details for Ranelagh Bridge? the engine shed directory lists it as closing in around 1976 and yet pics on flickr suggest it went on for much longer? 

would anyone happen to have lists of what they saw on there? 

Class 22, 35, 42, 47, 50 and 52 seem the common types.... 

You need to get hold of the “ diesels on shed “ series by OPC available at many secondhand railway book stalls . Would answer a lot of your queries 

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, rob D2 said:

You need to get hold of the “ diesels on shed “ series by OPC available at many secondhand railway book stalls . Would answer a lot of your queries 

hi, it merely shows two pics,

with 47s, 50s and 52s,

• RMweb Premium

A friend and I were going to build a P4 model with what we thought would be a short but interesting time period 1967 to 1975, so we could run mainly hydraulics slowly replacing the NBL type 2s, Hymeks and Warships with class 31s and more 47s and start to replace the Westerns with 50/50s. Even in that short period  there were many changes. The track work was a real mixture of bullhead, both GWR two bolt and BR three screw chairs and flat bottom rail, with different fixings. As it was going to be P4 we decided the track must also be the right type. In the middle of that time slot one of the bullhead points was replaced with a flat bottom point. There were numerous small changes like the little sentry box type shelter by the refuelling pumps was erected after 1970-1 time. And in one photo the Grampus wagon used as the rubbish bin wasn't there. 

The model didn't proceed but I did have an attempt and building it in 00 using Peco track. It got as far as being wired up and working. The project was terminated with my wife and I retiring and moving to a place where I could build a big layout. 

Ranelagh Bridge's track plan is the most basic depot plan which shows the flow sequence where a loco enters the shed, is refuelled and may have an A exam while being refuelled. It is then shunted on to the sidings ready for its next duty.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

An opportunity for me to ask about fuel storage at Ranelagh Bridge.  There don’t seem to be any fuel storage tanks on site: it is possible that they were underground like petrol stations, but my assumption is that fuel was pumped directly from the tank wagons. Was this the case?  And if so, were fulls and empties shuffled around or were they pumped out in turn?

Thanks, Paul.

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

An opportunity for me to ask about fuel storage at Ranelagh Bridge.  There don’t seem to be any fuel storage tanks on site: it is possible that they were underground like petrol stations, but my assumption is that fuel was pumped directly from the tank wagons. Was this the case?  And if so, were fulls and empties shuffled around or were they pumped out in turn?

Thanks, Paul.

Hi Paul

In my research when planning Ranelagh Bridge I didn't find any reference to underground fuel tanks so I presume the fuel storage were the tank wagons and the fuel pumped directly out of them. All of the tank wagon sidings appear to have an unloading pipe.

• Thanks 1

I made lots of trips in and out of Paddington at that time, and the last time I have any locos listed as seen on Ranelagh Bridge was at the end of 1981, if that is any help. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AberdeenBill said:

how is Ranelagh pronounced?

With difficulty!

I go with Ran-lee and it seemed to go down OK with Reading/Paddington folk.

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

I always thought it was ran-lar or ran-elar.

It was closed very early in the 80s, because some of the servicing shed staff at OC had transfered around 81-82.

Padd had a Cat C inspector based there to oversee minor problems around that time.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

With difficulty!

I go with Ran-lee and it seemed to go down OK with Reading/Paddington folk.

Paul.

That was used by some folk but the normal pronunciation among the (railway) locals was Ran-eelar.  The Cat C Workshop supervisor at Paddington station was very definitely there some years before Ranelagh Bridge closed and Ranelagh V Bridge wasn't cobered by n him as his job was very much dealing with problems at the station.

1 hour ago, Erixtar1992 said:

There is an excellent OO gauge layout of this small depot,  it was in Lord&Butlers shop when i visited back in feb. Recognised it straight away!

417CF24B-5FB0-4C12-B300-A4A47D023DCC.jpeg

1C676115-B2D4-40A4-A3D6-65911C5AF8C3.jpeg

Built by my brother Paul, 'naturol' of this parish.

Passed to L&B when it was retired from the exhibition circuit.

L&B have made a few mods to the original, which was intended to portray a night shift, with lights.

Brian R

• Like 2

1 hour ago, br2975 said:

Built by my brother Paul, 'naturol' of this parish.

Passed to L&B when it was retired from the exhibition circuit.

L&B have made a few mods to the original, which was intended to portray a night shift, with lights.

Brian R

Ah brilliant!  Shame he got rid.  I was super impressed by it, aswell as a bit jealous! 

Looks great in the shop.

• Thanks 1