loksound v5 loco not responding

bluedepot

hi everyone

this is a query about an ho loco i just received. it is a sound fitted loco which has a loksound v5 in it. 

im using an nce powercab. 

the loco is not responding. lights, movement and sound do nothing. i checked the adddres on cv1 and it is definitely 3. it can seemingly read cv values so the decoder does appear to be reading. 

i tried another loco which has a loksound v4 in and that ran as expected.

where am i going wrong?  is loksound v5 compatible with nce powercab? 

thanks in advance for any advice! 

tim

thanks richard.  it runs on analogue and basic engine sounds and lights work. yes it will let me read and change cv values it seems. 

changing cv8 to value 8 wont delete the loaded on sounds will it?  sorry if daft question but im not knowledgeable about this! 

many thanks 

tim

CV8 won't delete sounds.   Note that CV8 is a read-only CV, so whilst you can write a new value to cause a decoder reset, when you read it you always get the same number back. 

However, before you go to CV8, two further steps:

1 - confirm that you understand the difference on the PowerCab between selecting Loco 3 and selecting Loco 03 ?   The former is short-address 3, the latter is long-address 3, and is not the same loco.

2 - have you tried turning the sound on with function keys for this loco ?  Usually either Fn1 or Fn8 depending on the convention for the sound producer and country it was intended for (one would have hoped the supplier included this information in any instructions).    I believe its possible to design sound schemes where nothing happens unless you've turned it on. 

thanks for response nigel and richard before that

i reset the decoder and it works now! was getting worried i would have to post loco back to europe at my expense. 

yes i had tried f1 f2 f3 etc etc to see if sounds worked and i had tried loco address both as 3 and 03 before too

its a mysterybut reset fixed it anyway

i had to google to get a list of functions as not included in the box but luckily i had esu sound file number so easily found out what the 20 functions do

thanks again 

tim

• RMweb Premium

Hi bluedepot, I had a similar problem with a V4 decoder recently, when trying to run a loco using my NCE power pro. The loco had been fitted with DCC sound professionally.  At first it worked, then sound but no motion, then nothing.  I tried all the resets and usual checks without success.  Went back to the chip fitter and it worked perfectly first time. Just put it down to some sort of glitch.

3 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

2 - have you tried turning the sound on with function keys for this loco ?  Usually either Fn1 or Fn8 depending on the convention for the sound producer and country it was intended for (one would have hoped the supplier included this information in any instructions). 

Good point.

At the club we have a (S/H) PowerCab with an issue. If you select the program track, the lights, bell & horn button (which should be Fn 0-2) re-map themselves to different buttons. I think 1 becomes 5 until you reset the throttle! Now we are aware, we avoid the issue & will document how to perform a throttle reset in the layout's quick reference guide.

So don't always trust the lights/bell/horn keys.

The other thing you could have tried was setting the loco address while it in on the program track. You don't need to know its address in order to change it on there.

On 12/08/2019 at 17:17, bluedepot said:

hi

i just guess that the prev owner had changed some obscure setting in my case

electronics so complicated now that all sorts of glitches are possible with system and loco so bound to happen sometimes 

all the best

tim

What is the number of the loco? The previous owner likely set the long address to match that. You checked CV1 but that only shows the short address. 

Frederick