Z21 Long Address?
About 6 months ago I took the plunge and invested in a Black Z21. I'll say at the outset I love this system compared to NCE cabs which I use at our local club (they are good of course - but don't have the most accessible screens/info displays).
I particularly like it because it offers both the more tactile hand controller Maus as well as having control from any phone/pad so any guest can quickly get involved with their own control in their hand. I like the fact that routing can be set up simply once points have decoders. (Using MERG system for that - also a great resource).

As the summary suggest the challenge I'm having with the system is to be able to program Long 4 digit addresses. CV1 only deals with shorter addresses up to 3 digits 100 or whatever. I haven't yet figured out a way of giving 4 digit numbers to my locos.
Any advice from an experienced user would be welcome? I have a feeling it also may differ from one chip manufacturer to another as CV29 seems to offer them some choices.

Hi

You set the DCC lung address in the same way as you would with any other system by changing CV17 and 18 after enabling it in CV29 

this link might help you

https://www.ruppweb.org/Xray/comp/decoder.htm

I generally use the PC program to change the addresses and CVs, so much easier that using the app or Multimaus :)

First - don't over-think the problem.    Any DCC system deals with address calculations for you.   If you want to set a long address, just do it according to the manual for the handset device in question.   

Of the Roco options (its a few years since I last used a Z21), I find the software (Apple/Android) for phone/tablet devices easier to follow than programming using a MultiMaus. 

Every decoder uses the same method (or they wouldn't work on DCC!!) for CV's 1, 17, 18, and 29.  
It is not generally necessary to calculate values unless interested in how the underlying systems work.  
I wrote an article about this a very long time ago:  
http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29 calculator.htm

- Nigel

Long address [programming on a Multiumaus is extremely easy ! (and fast, without wasting time on readback - with basic amplifier)

1/  IN NON PROGRAMMING ( operational) MODE - enter the 4 digit loco number you WANT   ie L= xxxx

2/ Enter Programming Mode: Choose CV [29 ]  [OK] and then your preferred value ( I use 6 or 38 as I keep analogue active )

3/ 'Cursor sideways' to 'LONG' address [OK] .. whilst it will briefly show 17,18  it will then OFFER your 4 digit number entered at step 1      (If not - now is the time to type in your desired 4 digits)  - then press enter (OK)

4/ WAIT a short time while it completes programming - watch for the 2 kicks from the motor to show both 17 and 18 have been written.

5/ Exit from Programming ((stop,stop))  and test on the number already sitting selected as the loco address.   Easy.

IF you use named locos, then an extra step to switch between NAMED (Library of 64 locos, with SHORT OR LONG ADDRESSES)

which also remembers whether that device/decoder needed 14 28 or 128 steps  (Eg ROCO CRANE uses 14 steps) is needed,

and then a NEW entry in the library to choose the loco number, speed, and name (5, or 10 scrolling characters with Z21)

I prefer to have a separated test track connected to a separate Multimaus and basic amplifier - for easy programming without stopping any trains on the main layout, and without the delay of reading an old value ...I'm more interested in the value I enter 8-)      Using a test track with certain other controllers using separate program outputs which CANNOT be used for testing the result (such as the Massoth Dimax)  require a switch to be able to both Test and Program a loco on a test track/rollers ... which can be cumbersome with heavy G Scale locos !  [ An additional resistor may be required when programming G Sclae locos on controllers aimed at the 'general' standard of current draw during programming]

Edited by Phil S

Can't understand the problem I'm afraid.  On my Z21, I put the loco on the prog track, go into 'programming' on the app and simply type the 4 digit address in the appropriate screen in the app.  The Z21 is smart enough to recognise it as a long address and takes care of all the other CV settings for me.  Job done.

Cheers .. Alan