ScottyStitch's Workbench

scottystitch

• RMweb Gold

I've started to try and weather some of my rolling stock and the first two up are a Dapol Blue Spot Fish van and a Dapol SR CCT. 

Both remain very much a work in progress.

Whilst I do have and use a number of airbrushes, which I use for painting and weathering track (but primarily for plastic aircraft kits), I wanted to try weathering railway stock with paint and washes applied by brush as it's easier to just pick up and do a wagon on spec, in front the TV or sitting in the garden, for instance and clean up than if spraying.

The Blue spot Has had Life Colour Weathered black acrylic applied and then removed with a dry brush followed by a brush dipped in a little thinners to remove more paint where required, especially around the running number. The end of the van shows the original bright white. A Life Colour wash, Soot, was then applied over the top to try and blend things, but unfortunately the Soot has a green tinge to it. I will try a very dark brown next to try and remedy that. I was working from photographs of the prototype and I'm happy with the distribution of muck. I might get some powders to add some texture.

The CCT has had the same Weathered Black applied, a couple of coats and then dry brushed off.  I'm quite happy but I think it needs more muck, too much of the green is visible I think.  Powders again to add texture. The other side is attached to show the original OOB colour. 

In both cases the under frames need weathering.

The roofs of both are again Weathered Black dry brushed on, with the Soot wash applied over the top. The CCT looks okay I thing, maybe powders again, but I think the Blue Spot could be grubbier.

Thoughts welcome

Best

Scott

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

Edited by scottystitch