Unimat 1 multitool

I've just blown the dust off mine which is set up as a lathe, however looking through the bits I got to wondering wondering about the jigsaw function. Would this cut brass and if so to what thickness, I'm hoping up to about 40 or 50 thou (1 to 1.25 mm)?

post-6750-127315182045.jpg

Do you mean the older Unimat or the modern version, the old "one" with jigsaw will handle it, but the modern version may struggle as it is a light weight unit, not the multi tool the original 1950's version was.

I do own a complete original, and they are wonderful little lathes and milling machines. The later plastic and metal type are related , but designed with children's use etc, and are much simpler in what they can do.

post-6750-127315180137.jpg

They are not a toy, within limits it can do serious work, but not quite on the scale of the original, which can be stretched to do Model Engineering like live steam Engines in cast iron etc.

As said the finest blades must be used with brass with any jigsaw, the finest tooth count you can obtain. Allow the blade to do the work, not pressing it too hard.

Stephen.

You never fail do you Stephen? You HAVE to be an engineer of some sort?

Indeed, Electrical and Mechanical, and 40 years model engineering as well as manufacturing 00 wheels and model kits.

On the Unimat One, I am informed...by a friend, it will do 2 to 3 mm brass sheet in the jigsaw, assuming fine blade and not for hard clockmaking brass sheet. It will cut gently, do not press hard, llet the blade do the work is the golden rule with all jig saws.

And if you ever see one of the original Unimat's for sale cheap........tell me.....seriously, they are a wonderful machine, and worth every penny that they fetch these days. Developed for the the US Sears mail order home workshop market, in Austria after the war, a truly universal machine, drill, both hand and press, lathe, milling machine, fretsaw, rotary saw, rotary sander, threading machine, gear cutting machine, filing machine, there is hardly a job it can't do within it's limits.

As it got too costly to make, they moved on to other designs and the entry level was taken over by the Unimat 1, designed for use in German and Austrian schools and training centres. It is not so robust, but is accurate and flexible, but nowhere as versatile as the older one, but still a fully functional lathe and milling machine.

Stephen.

Indeed, Electrical and Mechanical, and 40 years model engineering as well as manufacturing 00 wheels and model kits.

On the Unimat One, I am informed...by a friend, it will do 2 to 3 mm brass sheet in the jigsaw, assuming fine blade and not for hard clockmaking brass sheet. It will cut gently, do not press hard, llet the blade do the work is the golden rule with all jig saws.

And if you ever see one of the original Unimat's for sale cheap........tell me.....seriously, they are a wonderful machine, and worth every penny that they fetch these days. Developed for the the US Sears mail order home workshop market, in Austria after the war, a truly universal machine, drill, both hand and press, lathe, milling machine, fretsaw, rotary saw, rotary sander, threading machine, gear cutting machine, filing machine, there is hardly a job it can't do within it's limits.

As it got too costly to make, they moved on to other designs and the entry level was taken over by the Unimat 1, designed for use in German and Austrian schools and training centres. It is not so robust, but is accurate and flexible, but nowhere as versatile as the older one, but still a fully functional lathe and milling machine.

Stephen.

I'll echo everything Stephen has said (and not only because he's in God's own county). I've had a Unimat SL (badged EMCO) for a lot of years, usually left set up for milling, and a Unimat Basic SL, for which a CNC kit is also available, for a price.

The SL does turn up on E-Bay but usually goes for big bucks just for the basic machine. Unfortunately the chucks/spares for the later machines may not compatible with the SL with a different size and thread although they are compatible with my Basic SL machine.

Phil

I'm lucky enough to own the Unimat 1's big brother, an Emco5, complete with milling machine, co-ordinate milling table, and the guy that sold it me cheap, threw in a full set of 25mm collets, free!

The machine was in good condition, but filthy, been used in a local prison for training. Once cleaned up, repainted and set up, it's brilliant.

Archived