I am currently weathering a Hornby Brush Type 2. I'll put up some pics of the finished result in due course, but I thought that some pics of the work in progress may be of interest.

My starting point was a model of D5511 in original green livery with plain green ends and duck egg blue bodyside stripes.

I decided to finish mine as D5500, with small yellow end panels circa 1967.

I first carefully repainted the cab window surrounds with Humbrol BR green. I then polished the body with "T cut", which also took off the old numbers. I used Fox transfers for the new numbers and bodyside stripes.

I painted the shiny centres of the wheels with Tamiya NATO black - I don't know why Hornby left the centres of the wheels unpainted, it really detracts from the model IMHO.

Heres a couple of photos of the work so far:

post-6772-127314814404_thumb.jpg

post-6772-127314817284_thumb.jpg

The next stage is to add some oil stains and worn patches round the steps and doors.

I've started making it dirty now.

I dry brushed the oil spills, soot round the exhausts and the build up of grime at the front of the roof and on the valances. The body was toned down with a very heavily thinned mix of Tamiya matt black, dark earth and gunmetal, most of which was wiped off with a cotton bud as soon as it was applied.

Next stage will be to get out the airbrush and add a bit more soot to the roof and grime along the bottom of the body.

post-6772-127318058959_thumb.jpg

post-6772-127318075071_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Evening Alex,

Your Brush 2 is looking excellent-nice and subtle weathering again.

Hopefully Mario was kept at arms length during the painting and process?

Cheers.

Mark

I've finished. The last stage was to get out the airbrush and lightly spray round the exhausts and roof grilles with matt black. The bottom edge of the body, particularly at the ends, was given a light dusting of a black/earth mix. I did a bit more staining round the exhausts with black weathering powder. Finally the edges of steps and the bottom of some of the door was highlighted with a soft (7B) pencil to give the impression of bare metal.

I meant to say at the beginning, work from a photograph. I use this link for my green diesels: http://grahame910.fotopic.net

It pay to spend some time studying the photos to work out how they weathered in real life. Characteristic of the Brush type 2's is oil staining from the engine room floor aparrent on the lower white bodyside stripe, and a build up of dirt on the ends of the roof. For green diesels, bear in mind that cleaning methods have changed since the 1960's, so the way something weathers in 1985 is not necessarily indicative of how it would have weathered in 1965.

post-6772-127339832149_thumb.jpg

Archived