Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Other uses for the J36 TTS chip?

Tallpaul69

Hi All,

I am thinking about using the J36 TTS chip for sound in other locos.

I have the following locos which are not in my regular timetable so I can live with a measure of deviation from the original sound, but I can't justify the cost of a full cost chip.

I am taking into account the size of the loco, its wheel size, and  likely whistle type:-

Ivatt 2-6-2

Ivatt 2-6-0 (large and small)

Standard 76000 2-6-0

Standard 82000 2-6-2

Southern C, and Q1 both 0-6-0

I have not included any Eastern locos because I do not have them and my layout is Western Region, west of London.

I have not included any Western Region locos because I think the J36 whistle too different to WR whistles.

Other candidates such as the Midland 3F and 4F are also not on my fleet. 

I would be interested in other folks experiments in this direction, or thoughts on how accurate (or not) the sound would be, remembering that the use of these locos will be limited to purely running locos I like from time to time, as variation to the main WR diet of locos!

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul.

I'm considering the Q1 myself with a j36 chip.

I already have 4 or 5 TTS chips in locos they were not designed for. I will spare myself the earache from some who frown and tut loudly at this practice by saying if I like how it sounds that's all that matters.

Good luck

Chris

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Suppose that it could be used in similar sized 2 cylinder locos.  Have been thinking about testing one in an Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST.

As they are less than £40 online it's not much more than a Lenz silver that has no sounds.

• Like 1