RMweb

remains of S.E.R. lines at Rochester

I'm planning a layout based on Rochester and Strood in Kent, there was a thread on the old forum with some great info and photos, but part of the yard at Rochester seems to have been very camera shy, namely the remains of the former S.E.R. line that ran on viaducts above the yard. I know there were substantial remains of the masonry viaducts there in the 80s, but every pic of the yard I have seen seems to either be at the other end of the site or focusing on trackwork/stock rather than the surroundings.

surely someone can point me in the right direction for some more information on these ancient railway remains?

thanks

Jon

I'm planning a layout based on Rochester and Strood in Kent, there was a thread on the old forum with some great info and photos, but part of the yard at Rochester seems to have been very camera shy, namely the remains of the former S.E.R. line that ran on viaducts above the yard. I know there were substantial remains of the masonry viaducts there in the 80s, but every pic of the yard I have seen seems to either be at the other end of the site or focusing on trackwork/stock rather than the surroundings.

surely someone can point me in the right direction for some more information on these ancient railway remains?

thanks

Jon

Have you seen mine at http://eastwestdivide.fotopic.net/c1747588.html - towards the bottom of the page.

In the 80s, the only masonry viaduct bits left were at the far west (bridge) end, as in http://eastwestdivide.fotopic.net/p60619506.html, and there wasn't much of that.

yes i have seen those pics, theres some really useful reference photos there.

the view of the east end of the yard is great for modelling the bridges etc, but I was hoping to find something that showed the other sides of the viaduct remains, and how they were positioned in relation to the other features of the yard, its a good start for my model though, thanks.

particularly useful would be a shot looking down between the old viaduct and the main line, and a view of the top (are the rumours that a ruined station survived up there true?).

Jon

particularly useful would be a shot looking down between the old viaduct and the main line, and a view of the top (are the rumours that a ruined station survived up there true?).

Jon

Hello again, I did once have a very unofficial cab ride in the Rochester yard pilot, from the central area by the signalbox, up to the east end, and up the slope to the main line, and I don't remember any remains. Of course I might have been more interested in the ride than the surroundings. I'll see what I can do later for more info. It was a difficult area to get close to though, without trespassing.

At last a picture, taken from the footbridge by Rochester signal box looking back towards the bridge, showing some of the yard area. Not sure where the second viaduct would have gone, but you can see various changes of level... On the left you can make out the slope down from the main line to the yard, and on the right, the siding that disappears into the undergrowth goes uphill away from the camera.

The remains of viaduct are just near the signal on the gantry

Yes, the 73 is off the rails.

post-6971-12566696818761_thumb.jpg

Archived