RMweb

Imaginary Locomotives

I rather like that Hippogriff!

So do I, actually - rather stylish, in an Edwardian way.

Interesting to read the description of the 4-2-4-0T making time comparable to a modern MU over the Buxton line... there must have been SOME reason the South Americans bought such a curious beast, and that may well be what they were told?

I used to commute on pairs of 4-VEPs too. They set the benchmark for how fast people can get off a train. On arrival into the terminus in London, I'd estimate more than 50 people were on the platform before the train had even stopped, and most of the train would empty onto the platform within the next 10 seconds...

On the Brighton line, the semi-fasts and slows in peak in the early 70s were 12-VEP; the unloading times at my station, Haywards Heath, were so short that the bottleneck was the staircase down to the street exit, not getting out of the carriages...

Edited by talisman56

These are the flipover seats on the double deck intercity and Warratah suburban sets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NSW_TrainLink_V_Set_upper_deck.JPG

Cheers

David

Another option is rotating seats as on some of the Japanese Shinkansen - apparently they can do a whole carriage in less than 30 seconds, replacing the anti-macassars at the same time...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So do I, actually - rather stylish, in an Edwardian way.

Interesting to read the description of the 4-2-4-0T making time comparable to a modern MU over the Buxton line... there must have been SOME reason the South Americans bought such a curious beast, and that may well be what they were told?

The gradient profile for Manchester-Buxton is quite Andean. I think that like many of Webb's engines they relied on the train for brake power.

Don't know about that but the big dustbin-like thing on the front ring of the boiler is to hold the crew's supply of baguette. The lid lifts off.

Well to cook it properly you would need a steam injected oven, but I'm not certain I'm with you on this one. I note no provision on the loco for storage of frog parts, snails, mouldy cheeses, strings of onions or other alliums, gitanes, white flags or mistresses, so I'm not convinced that a french loco needs to have facilities for stereotypical gallic accessories.

Don't know about that but the big dustbin-like thing on the front ring of the boiler is to hold the crew's supply of baguette. The lid lifts off.

Well to cook it properly you would need a steam injected oven, but I'm not certain I'm with you on this one. I note no provision on the loco for storage of frog parts, snails, mouldy cheeses, strings of onions or other alliums, gitanes, white flags or mistresses, so I'm not convinced that a french loco needs to have facilities for stereotypical gallic accessories.

Are we seriously stooping to culinary humor? :mosking:

Stooping? Your assumption that previous attempts at humour have been more high brow may not be entirely correct.

I trust our little mirth does not disturb the entente cordiale.

Back to the imaginary and/or unlikely.

• RMweb Premium

Seriously? What other form of culinary humour is there? Anyway, what is the bread box thing for, if not bread? Next back is sand and the one nearest the cab is the safety valves; the one right at the front of the boiler looks to do with steam to the cylinders.

Stooping? Your assumption that previous attempts at humour have been more high brow may not be entirely correct.

I trust our little mirth does not disturb the entente cordiale.

Back to the imaginary and/or unlikely.

I'm afraid it disturbed mine. Seriously...

Seriously? What other form of culinary humour is there? Anyway, what is the bread box thing for, if not bread? Next back is sand and the one nearest the cab is the safety valves; the one right at the front of the boiler looks to do with steam to the cylinders.

Coffee pot maybe? Java is the thing to wake up to and keep you going and let's face it that size of a pot could keep a whole yard awake. But I'm not interested in domes I just want to know what the blazes that mechanical thing is next to the smokebox!

Hmm do you guys mind if I use that photo over in the Prototype section? Better place to ask there since this is for Imaginary/freelance designs.

Speaking of I do have a plan for a modified Paget 2-6-2 loco. Quite simply that engines outside looks with a normal (if large) Firebox and normal inside motions and not the experimental Steam Motor and Jack Shaft rig. I'll be making a line drawing soon.

• Like 1

Apart from mechanical reliability, the USP of the EE Type 1 (Class 20) was that they had excellent driver visibility in one direction, the other direction being no better, or worse than available on a steam loco, while the NBL and BTH had poor visibility in both directions due to the inset cab.  However, when coupled nose-to-nose, the EE Type 1 made more sense than either of the others and effectively became a Type 2.  With a similar cab layout to the BTH and NBL Type 1s, the EE variant would probably have suffered a similar fate.

But thats a good example of ThankGodItNeverwazz!!!

Worth attempting with a Hornby or Bachmann BR Class 20.

I'd suggest a Lima Class 37 and two Lima Class 20s - cheaper that way!

• RMweb Premium

The old French 0-6-0 pictured some posts ago was one built by the c.f.de l' OUEST. At one time most of their fleet had these boilers with the very large flat topped domes. The French railway slang for them was "pot au moutarde", which you should be able to follow.

• RMweb Premium

The old French 0-6-0 pictured some posts ago was one built by the c.f.de l' OUEST. At one time most of their fleet had these boilers with the very large flat topped domes. The French railway slang for them was "pot au moutarde", which you should be able to follow.

They are obsessed with food, so I rest my case.

If EE built a body style similar to its Type 1 contemporaries from BTH and NB.

attachicon.gif20hood.jpg

Cheers

David

Apart from mechanical reliability, the USP of the EE Type 1 (Class 20) was that they had excellent driver visibility in one direction, the other direction being no better, or worse than available on a steam loco, while the NBL and BTH had poor visibility in both directions due to the inset cab.  However, when coupled nose-to-nose, the EE Type 1 made more sense than either of the others and effectively became a Type 2.  With a similar cab layout to the BTH and NBL Type 1s, the EE variant would probably have suffered a similar fate.

But thats a good example of ThankGodItNeverwazz!!!

I'd suggest a Lima Class 37 and two Lima Class 20s - cheaper that way!

Low nose then as they found visibility sucked..... didn't the US go a similar route?....

post-9147-0-28458200-1506508590.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Really?

Why is it acceptable to be racist on this thread?

Culturalist, if you will.

Let me re-phrase my remark to avoid giving offence. It is a feature of the French language that when a colloquial term for an object is coined, it often references a comestible item. 'Mustard pot' for the large dome on the engine in question is an example.