Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

This is getting ridiculous! So let's be original and make a Tri-Bo class 47! I do have a Great British Locomotives one that I can do something with, so it's the ideal project!

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban
  • Like 1

So perhaps XP-100 would be just avant garde enough for the late '50s - and sufficiently conservative enough not to frighten the passengers. With the thinking at the time that trains needed at least thirteen coaches the 4000HP might have been quite appropriate for 100mph operation with standard Warship gearing.

post-7495-0-43466200-1510223684_thumb.jpg

Bring on the mid-'60s with acceptance the first class is always empty and reduced 8-car sets with the excess first class removed and then the rebranding to XP-125 can happen with fanfare. Perhaps introducing the use of aircon mk2s and the new livery. XP64 livery would work - but it will need a new name!

• Like 4

Most Warships were 2200 hp, so you've actually got another 400hp to play with. There were ride problems with the suspension design (partially sorted later), but in their early days they were recorded at speeds around 100mph. What about WXP-100 though (Western Express....)?

• Like 1

There was also

• FIDO, Fog Intense, Dispersal Of, a marvellous way to disperse fog on runways during WW2, by burning large quantities of petrol.
  • RDF, Radio Direction Finding, Americanised into RADAR.
  • HFDF, High Frequency Direction Finding or HuffDuff, for pinpointing U Boats at sea by convoy protection vessels

The military (as always) is rife with acronyms.....

That's true, but when did they slip into more widespread civilian use?

Given that by 1945 most of the population had been in the military, or engaged in warwork (My aunt was a Post Office telephones engineer for the duration), a familiarity with the use of acronyms probably transferred to civvy street quite rapidly.

Yes, but InterCity is so descriptive and catchy! A good brand name, one like Triumph Bonneville or Harley Electra Glide, takes on a life of its own.

Most rail users then, knew little and cared less, about loco power classifications etc.

Same today. TOC branding is mostly a total flop amongst disgruntled, weary commuters and no one else travels by train. This was discussed elsewhere, but Peterborough’s sullen commuters still refer to the EMU services as the long-defunct “WAGN train” and the expresses are still “InterCity” services.

Edited by rockershovel

Is it a Western 108 tons (or falcon 115 tons) with a new body for 2700HP from twin MD655 engines?, or a Warship 75 tons with new body and better axle loading (13 tons) for 2200HP from twin MD650 engines?

A Super Hymek should have twin MD870 engines for 3400HP but would come in at around 140 tons so might need more axles like a peak of similar weight!

Would work as an articulated C-C-C I guess but dividing the power between the axles using hydraulic transmission could be a challenge unless the central bogie is unpowered in a C-3-C format.

TLAs and such abreviations go  a long way back...

http://www.genproxy.co.uk/genealogy_abbreviations_acronyms_initials.htm

M.S.W.J.R.  1883

To be honest, the vast majority of those military or honours. There's no everyday stuff like "BLT", "HST" or even "TTFN" among them (not sure that Dr. for doctor is really relevant). I do see that conscription and National Service in the immediate Post-WWII world might have accustomed the civilian population to the use of TLAs and the like though.

I guess on RMWeb BLT is just as likely to be Branch Line Terminus as a Sandwich.

Edited by BernardTPM

To be honest, the vast majority of those military or honours. There's no everyday stuff like "BLT", "HST" or even "TTFN" among them (not sure that Dr. for doctor is really relevant). I do see that conscription and National Service in the immediate Post-WWII world might have accustomed the civilian population to the use of TLAs and the like though.

I guess on RMWeb BLT is just as likely to be Branch Line Terminus as a Sandwich.

I'd forgotten about ITMA.

Definitely civilian!

• Like 2

A Tri-Bo wouldn't quite fit, but how about a Co-Bo-Co...

attachicon.gif31-659_3092879_Qty1_3.JPG

and how about a Super Hymek, contrasted with a similar twin-Maybach prototype

attachicon.gifsuper hymek 1.jpg

Where do you put the fuel tank?

Are you sure a Tri Bo wouldn't fit? The inspiration for me to post that was from the final NSWGR 86 class, No. 8650, which was built as a Tri Bo. I am aware that this is an electric prototype, but I'm sure it will work on a diesel.

post-32712-0-64077800-1510256177.jpeg

You should be able to see the boxes and tanks crammed in between the bogies.post-32712-0-28650700-1510256293.jpeg

I was going to post this picture before. It's for clarity.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Same today. TOC branding is mostly a total flop amongst disgruntled, weary commuters and no one else travels by train. This was discussed elsewhere, but Peterborough’s sullen commuters still refer to the EMU services as the long-defunct “WAGN train” and the expresses are still “InterCity” services.

I know people who still refer to the whole thing as "British Rail".

I also know quite a few people who use trains for journeys other than commuting.

• Like 1