Coombe Town

CoombeTown

• 2 months later...

Well it's been a while. Life and motivation meant that not much happened in the intervening time. However, chatting with @NHY 581 at the Minehead show the other week, I've had some motivation to get going again.

Ideally I want a quick build to get going, and have a nice idea for a cameo BLT based on Rob's track plan that would suit. But until time and funds allow, some progress on the weighbridge today.

I've knocked up a fireplace and walls, and finally got the windows in and painted. So here's hoping for some more consistent progress.

The interior parts:

20230819_165754_1rlFfPZF1v.jpeg.6fca0f157274b75bbd587de01223786c.jpeg

And the exterior:

20230819_165801_XDqdvm3K29.jpeg.f99886d1c1c6665be345c48d77dce969.jpeg

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Well nearly 2 months to the day later... I've been away a lot with work and friends recently, so the number of evenings home have been low, let alone modelling time.

However, I've made some progress painting the stonework on the platform. This has allowed Cork to be fitted, and tonight I began work on the point rodding along the platform face.

20231018_222303.jpg.df22688dbb295e2a29334ef76ae980f6.jpg

First, the signal pulleys and point cranks leading from the signal box. I need to order another couple of cranks from Modelu before this is finished, but it gives an idea.

20231018_222256.jpg.e21e24f79611abfef65466e87b8ea75d.jpg

The rodding run, still surprises me how much this adds to the scene everytime I build some more.

As per the previous lengths, I've kept the rodding separate from the stools for painting and ballasting convenience.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning Dom, 

I'll keep on eye on how you do this. As you say, adds to the scene but I have no clue about point/signal rodding. 

Rob

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Dom, 

I'll keep on eye on how you do this. As you say, adds to the scene but I have no clue about point/signal rodding. 

Rob

The important thing to remember is thta each run needs to have the same amount of 'push' and 'pull', to equalise expansion - so equalisers are needed in appropriate places to make that happen.

Crossovers are ususally (but as always, it depends on company!) worked off a single lever, so will have a join. FPLs, unless track circuited, would usually have a locking bar, so the rodding approaches about 2/3 coach length from the toe of the point.

Signals run off wires, rather than rods, whih makes them easier as they're too small to see in 4mm!

There's several signalling experts (and quite a few of us enthusiastic amateurs) lurk in the signalling subforum - the 'how do I signal this track plan' type thread works much more successfully if posted before the track is laid...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 19/10/2023 at 09:38, Nick C said:

The important thing to remember is thta each run needs to have the same amount of 'push' and 'pull', to equalise expansion - so equalisers are needed in appropriate places to make that happen.

Crossovers are ususally (but as always, it depends on company!) worked off a single lever, so will have a join. FPLs, unless track circuited, would usually have a locking bar, so the rodding approaches about 2/3 coach length from the toe of the point.

Signals run off wires, rather than rods, whih makes them easier as they're too small to see in 4mm!

There's several signalling experts (and quite a few of us enthusiastic amateurs) lurk in the signalling subforum - the 'how do I signal this track plan' type thread works much more successfully if posted before the track is laid...

Indeed, reading the signalling subforum did help. Asking here as well got an answer to the ground signal conundrum. For the actual layout considerations leaving the box, a trip to Didcot provided the inspiration as you can get pretty close.20220402_133604.jpg.6fc8a0fe23fd78800f29145e31d66456.jpg20220402_132855.jpg.9ba57625f1f174a0e0f6d784b1a2ae30.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 19/10/2023 at 07:09, NHY 581 said:

Morning Dom, 

Rob

Mr D of Cardiff whom we spoke about at Stafford is your local friend for that.

Paul.

A great day at the Taunton Show yesterday, Bath Green Park in its full length was an incredible layout.

Last night I finally got around to putting the roof on the weighbridge, prompted by the discussion on ANTB.

20231022_215710.jpg.23d44e1c5c4ff1a9256437a7316e166b.jpg

On to guttering and interior up next, once I've placed a Modelu order, that's also holding up the pointing rodding as a couple of vital cranks are missing.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

I love the door knob - how did you do that?

Andy

It's just the head of a dress makers' pin pushed through, then the rest cut off on the other side.

It's slightly overscale but I feel it looks better than other alternatives

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

An interesting afternoon... the blacktack holding the firebox glow Led caused a few issues so a new Led is required... 

But 6421 has now been renumbered as 6408 (at Westbury in 1958) and fitted with Youchoos sound. It's nice to finally have the sound fitted engine to accompany the detailed autocoach.

Edited by DRoe96
Fixed video
  • Like 6

25 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Really nice - great stuff as ever.

One thing I have done is fitted tiny little patches of black card to the sides of my Dapol signal lamps to stop the sideways light being so obvious?

Andy

Thanks Andy, how close to the arm did you get with the card? It sounds like a good idea.

Dom

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DRoe96 said:

Thanks Andy, how close to the arm did you get with the card? It sounds like a good idea.

Dom

I left about 0.75mm and just use superglue gel - a tiny blob on the lamp and then a very small square of black cartridge paper. I guess basically the Dapol lights are rather bright and I found they showed up more in photos than I wanted if I was at an angle like in your video

Andy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little step forwards, the cranks coming from the signal box are complete, awaiting painting.20231105_095030.jpg.2056deaade16b51373e94007ffb7d248.jpg

I need to do the first section of the other side before I can glue it down but it's progress.

A mate has also owned up to having access to a Silhouette Cutter so this weekend's task is to draw up the main structural walls of the station building for him to cut. Then I can use that as a template for the cladding to get that building off the ground!

• Like 7

1 step forwards and two steps back this weekend. The new z21 Start controller arrived, and it's great to finally have access to all the sounds. However, 1470 has randomly started shorting on as soon as it's placed on the layout... as my preferred shunting loco, this is driving me nuts!

I've also glued into position the lower half of the signal box, which led to a minor disaster. The filler I used to build up the land to the side ate through the foam, creating a rather large cavern... a bit frustrated tonight so having a bit of break from the layout so gather my thoughts.

20231112_194328.jpg.13b7dfd23d3dc47eff8c433d12f577eb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Thanks Graham, with any luck I'll get the ground sorted at the weekend then it can go in permanently.

In an attempt to keep some motivation, a spot of ballast went in dry this morning. I need to do the stools for the other side before it's glued but it does look better.20231113_075750.jpg.d9af91fff016eb398b25dd79deeb7e74.jpg

I've also ordered a few tress from a certain Polish outfit over lunch to plan the pines and a couple of other scenic elements. Hopefully, this will give the other end of the layout a bit of a better feel.

• Like 8

Looking good! Ballast makes a big difference, even though it's a tedious job.

Something that I ought to remember is that when it comes to scenery, of something goes wrong, you can always push another part of it forward and come back to the bit that requires a blend of thought, action and task based profanity.

6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Something that I ought to remember is that when it comes to scenery, of something goes wrong, you can always push another part of it forward and come back to the bit that requires a blend of thought, action and task based profanity.

Indeed I find it does help keep some motivation up, although it has led to an almost finished scene at one end of the layout and literally just track on a baseboard at the other...

It also gives time to restock the profanity bank, which is not a bad thing in our hobby

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Turns out rebuilding the sinkhole required no profanity at all. The task now completed, the retaining wall is now permanently stuck into position.

1700298659654948902368609281642.jpg.08e473146dfb8d1191ad20fab599ccb9.jpg

I've also made a plasticard base for the lock-up to sit into, this should give a less sightly gap and provide something for me to sculptamold up to this evening.

I'm hoping the MBR order arrives early this week so I can make significant progress on the entire area on my annual leave, hopefully at least some flowers will go in and add some colour...

• Like 10