RMweb

Coombe Town

CoombeTown

A rapid bit of progress in between other things on this weekend, the headshunt is ballasted. It was tested this morning while the Mogul was bringing in the morning passenger service ready to the return to the junction.

20240512_100306.jpg.5435e18183987687b3582dec1fa8dd9b.jpg20240512_100150.jpg.e99c4703691657d033d823705a54aa0c.jpg

I'll have to widen the ash cess on the closer side of the headshunt before I grass the embankment, but it makes a good difference for now.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report but while away this week I have been considering fence placement around the end of the platform.

The plan is to have spear fencing running along the back of the platform and down the ramp, and a wooden fence around the station Master's garden.

The dilemma is posed below with the post & wire fencing that runs on top the embankment. Would it stop and run down the embankment to the end of the ramp as per the black line below, or would it continue and meet the spear fence at the top as per the blue line?

20240519_084021.jpg.5172ed1017fdf1822d18c6774cc6c274.jpg

More knowledgeable thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA,

Dom

I’ve read the entire thread and can’t find the answer - I would like to ask what make/ size/ colour of ballast you have used?

Steve

20 hours ago, sp1 said:

I’ve read the entire thread and can’t find the answer - I would like to ask what make/ size/ colour of ballast you have used?

Steve

Hi Steve,

I use the Geoscenics Weathered Ballast for 00 for the running lines and then their siding ballast for the sidings. The ash I used for the cess on the headshunt is the ash from their pothole yard kit. The ash can bubble if you apply a too thick glue so I put pva underneath, sprinkle the powder on, and then mist with a pva/water mix in a mist spray thing. This seems to be a pretty reliable solution.

I have no connection to Geoscenics, just a satisfied customer.

Dom

• Informative/Useful 1