Thaxted prototype info

LNERJP

Although I've traditionaly been a NE modeller, I'm now feeling drawn towards the GER area and in reaserching possible locations I've come across Thaxted as a bit of a gem, and are now trying to see if I can come up with a working plan foe 7mm in the 11ft 6in senic area I have available.

I have the Peter Paye Oxford Pub book and I am aware that intentio do a very nice kit for the engine shed. Does anyone know of any other good sources of information? I'm particural keen to know the distance from the cross over at the end passenger platform to the engine shed, it looks very close almost as if the engine would have to enter the shed to run round.

Any help?

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

I found this on "youtube" that might be of use .

I found this on another modelling forum. https://platform1mrc.com/p1mrc/index.php?threads/the-elsenham-thaxted-light-railway.2439/ I hope that it might be of inspiration. 

Terry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBt4boKIBBw

And this http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/t/thaxted/

Edited by Trainshed Terry

Have you seen the Wild Swan book on GER engine sheds?

There is a track plan and without actually measuring it the space beyond the crossover is just a little more than the length of the shed.

That means that the loco has just about enough room to use the crossover without going into the shed.

Estimating from a photo I make it nearly three wagon lengths which bears out my first comment.

It is always a station that I found interesting, although I have not been there for ten years or more. The buildings were still there at that time. The engine shed could be seen from the road but the station buildings are  private and out off any good views.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I find the survival of the structures at Thaxted quite remarkable given the date of closure and the spread of the town since.

I visited the site in the ‘seventies, photographed and measured up the station buildings, loco shed and water tower (well horizontally only for the last two, leaving the vertical dimensions to counting brick courses).  I know that I’ve shared some of this material with other Great Eastern Railway Society members, who have made scale drawings therefrom (but probably not the ones available from the “Emporium”, as suggested by PaulG - and recommended by me).  If the station building measurements are of interest, please contact me “off list”.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Middleton Press covers it in :

ISBN                          Title                                        Pages     
978 1 908174 16 1 Broxbourne to Cambridge 77-83