Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Eastern Region Doors/window frame paint colour

Homologator

Hi,

I have memories of doors etc. being a "blue-green" colour (I suspect that I may have "memory Jumble" (part of Old timers disease)). can anyone put me right please?

I'm setting my East Anglian model in the 1960s so the paint on doors etc. would be well weathered/faded as from what I have read there wasn't too much money spent on "Back water" branch lines. 

I've looked at paint suppliers but they all seem to have the "British Railways" paint charts which don't fit in with my memories.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Regards

David.

• RMweb Premium

In the absence of better information (and bearing in mind the web site Stewart has mentioned above) I've standardised on Railmatch 312 BR Cream and Humbrol 76 Uniform Green.

I chose the Railmatch cream as it was available in aerosols as well as jars which meant big areas like station roofs could be sprayed easily

The Humbrol 76 is perhaps a bit dark, I agree what I remember seeing on real buildings had faded to a kind of blueish-green colour but I haven't tried to depict that (yet).  Then again, what I can remember seeing was mostly odd bits of old buildings that had escaped being repainted for years, such as round the back of Hertford East when all the public areas were in Network Southeast colours!

The Humbrol seems to vary a bit depending on how much you stir it (or if you just use the pigment from the bottom of the tin); the water crane in the picture below was just painted with it but by chance seems to have come out looking faded!

P1020658.jpg.3a7d5678a62e62dbf05f76165048799d.jpg

P1010738.jpg.1a6b10e5920f108a40ee3143977d7c7e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

"BY GEORGE HES GOT IT!"

The water crane  is very much my memory. The green on the site Stewart led me to is what I imagine things must have looked like when the painter was putting his brush away! Not the green I remember from "Haringay West, Finsbury Park" etc. We seldom went out as far as "Hertford East" so I'll take your word for it:D.

The Railmatch cream will do nicely, I suppose if I needed even more faded green a drop of white mixed in might do the trick.

Very impressed with the photos of your railway. Have you posted more that you could signpost me to?

Very many thanks,

Kind regards

David.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks David, glad you like it!  Some more pics of my layout over here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83030-train-spotting-at-finsbury-square/&tab=comments#comment-1367632

Yes the Railmatch cream is probably a bit on the yellow side; I'm sure it could be let down a bit by adding some white.  I really wanted a colour that I could replicate over and over without having to mix it, and could get in aerosol as well as for brushing.  I think Humbrol matt cream might be a bit paler but not sure whether available in aerosols?

A small crop from my desktop background picture, Hunstanton 1959.

The goods shed doors appeared to be green, heavily faded to blue as I remember it.

Note: This picture must be copyright as I downloaded it from somewhere; this is just a small crop of it.

04_004_7001_62597 Hunstanton 08-1959.jpg

• Like 1

"BY GEORGE HES GOT IT!"

The water crane  is very much my memory. The green on the site Stewart led me to is what I imagine things must have looked like when the painter was putting his brush away! Not the green I remember from "Haringay West, Finsbury Park" etc. We seldom went out as far as "Hertford East" so I'll take your word for it:D.

The Railmatch cream will do nicely, I suppose if I needed even more faded green a drop of white mixed in might do the trick.

Very impressed with the photos of your railway. Have you posted more that you could signpost me to?

Very many thanks,

Kind regards

David.

Hello Stewart,

I think you could be right!

We make green by mixing yellow and blue, the yellow would fade out quicker than the blue! I doubt the pigments being used just after the war were anything like as colour fast as modern paints.

I Guess I could try mixing my own, but the "Humbrol" green does look pretty good!

I won't need a huge amount, just the station, signal box, goods shed etc. but if I mix up my own: A/ how much do I need? B/ will it keep? 

Perhaps I should move my layout to Devon "Where the yellow and brown paint never fades, the sun shines everyday and on a branch like mine Hymek's are the rule."

No.................................. I don't think I will!!!

Kind Regards

David.

Hello,

you are right about the "Railmatch 312" it is quite yellow. I have decided that as I don't need a huge quantity, I shall try adding white to the jar until my memory tells me its "about right". I think I may do the same with the Humbrol green.

From the picture Stewart posted, it looks to be almost "Rail Blue" on the door. I'm wondering if mixing yellow with "Rail Blue" would perhaps produce a similar green to my memory colour. Again adding white to soften the effect. 

The good news for me is that its not something that will stop progress while I experiment. Still lots to do before trains run and I need buildings in place.

Regards

David.

• Like 1