Static O Gauge Locos

Scimitar F1

Hi

From my username some will realise that railway modelling is not my usual thing.

However growing up in Ealing close to the Western region mainline out of Paddington I loved the Class 31s, 50s, 47s and 52s of my youth. I have no inclination to make and operate a layout as I am really a scale modeller and do not have time to make a layout that would meet my desired level of detail. What I would like are static models of these prototypes and the question is what is the best way. The Heljan locos are excellent value and most are now pretty accurate. Is there a way of getting the bits without the motors and electrics more cheaply than buying the ready-to-run loco? It seems such a shame for the motors etc. to sit unused on the display shelf. I would also repaint the body so the painting would be wasted too.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Will

• RMweb Premium

The simple answer is probably not. The economics of model railway production means there’s no value in producing motorless models leaving three options.

Buy new off the shelf and modify.

Save money buying secondhand and modifying.

If you want something more akin to plastic kit construction then good quality kits are available from MM1

https://mm1models.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=108_114

The downside of the MM1 route above is the cost of the kit without motor wheels and gears is more than a Heljan model. Also bear in mind if you ever want to sell a motorless locomotive in the future, (kit or Heljan), the market is very small and you’ll potentially get less than you paid for the components, whereas with motor you should at least break even.

Edited by PMP
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, PMP said:

...Save money buying secondhand and modifying...

That suggestion strikes me as 'the likely winner' given the OP's question:

16 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

...Is there a way of getting the bits without the motors and electrics more cheaply than buying the ready-to-run loco? It seems such a shame for the motors etc. to sit unused on the display shelf. I would also repaint the body so the painting would be wasted too...

While I don't know the O gauge market at all, I presume Johnny Ninethumbs operates there. You pay less when his attentions have ruined the original paint job and/or knackered the mechanism; and neither of these are a concern to a purchaser intending a repaint and never operating the model.

16 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

...I have no inclination to make and operate a layout...

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger, danger!

It's a funny thing. "I just bought one model for static display as a reminder of happy times in my youth." I cannot find the cartoon, so you will have to imagine the speaker standing amidst a vast railway empire with multiple trains running past.

If you’re not averse to doing some old school modelling, all the parts for several classes on your list are available from MM1 models. A kit of basic parts - body, underframe, chassis components can be bought for less than £300. Heljan Bogie frames and other parts are available as spares from Howes 

cheers

Shane

23 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

While I don't know the O gauge market at all, I presume Johnny Ninethumbs operates there. You pay less when his attentions have ruined the original paint job and/or knackered the mechanism; and neither of these are a concern to a purchaser intending a repaint and never operating the model.

Nowhere near as much as in 4mm scale. O scale prices make each model far more of a 'considered purchase' than the smaller scales; far less impulse buying and far more thought, care and attention given to repaints, weathering & muckin' about with the innards. 

Best bet for cheaper Heljan is their stand at Guildex, where they often have incomplete models at (relatively) knock-down prices. But then, sourcing the missing bits becomes the issue.

Simply put, a non-motorised O scale loco is going to be expensive to obtain, but of almost no value whatsoever if/when the time comes to sell it.

• Informative/Useful 1