Soundtraxx chips - changing CV's

TEAMYAKIMA

Hello

I will admit straight away that I am not too bright!  I will also admit that in some ways I wish I had never gone DCC - it just soooooooooooo complicated - I'm nearly in tears sometimes!

I need help with a problem - and 'yes' I have the manuals , but TBH I read the manuals and after about the first sentence my head starts spinning - I just don't even understand the language used!

I'm using a Digitraxx DB150 and DT402 and soundtraxx chips.

So here is my current problem...…...

I have three identical  steam locos ( same brand, same type)  and I want to double head them. But each runs at different speeds at the same setting. In fact one runs at a good walking pace at just a setting of '1' 

So how can I bring all three locos into line for double heading?

All help gratefully accepted - taking the layout to Warley in 4 weeks and beginning to panic!

• RMweb Gold

Have you looked at Digitrax's various videos on their website? They may give you more confidence about altering CVs.

I suggest you decide which of the three locos is the 'right' one, so then you speed-match the others to it. The one that sets off to fast at step one probably needs attention to CV2. The best way to do this is is in PO mode. With the loco (on the layout not the prog track) set it to run on the LH throttle step 1. Then on that throttle press Prog until the display shows PO. Turn the knob clockwise until it shows 0002. You are now about to adjust CV2. On the RH throttle enter a low number, say 1, press Enter and see if the loco slows down or stops. To come out of programming press exit. 

By putting the 'right' loco on the track with each of the others  a few feet apart in turn and messing with CV2 you can adjust their relative speeds at min throttle. If you have acceleration and deceleration set these are similarly adjusted with CVs 3 and 4. 

I do almost all my programming in PO mode. You can watch - and hear - the effects of your changes. 

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Have you looked at Digitrax's various videos on their website? They may give you more confidence about altering CVs.

Yes, I have watched several videos - the Digitrax ones and others - thy all seem very slow and time-consuming and none of them have tackled this particular issue - I will now give it a go.

Thanks

10 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I suggest you decide which of the three locos is the 'right' one, so then you speed-match the others to it. The one that sets off to fast at step one probably needs attention to CV2. The best way to do this is is in PO mode. 

Success! Many thanks.

Paul