Gaugemaster T1 and cab control

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

I have wired my new layout for cab control designed to be used with two controllers.  

I read that these must have "separate" power supplies. 

I have one gaugemaster T1 transformer that has two 16v AC outputs from dual windings.

Does this count as "separate" power supplies so can I run my two gaugemaster W controllers using cab control off of this single transformer, each one being attached to the separate 16v ac outputs?

Thank you. 

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

I have wired my new layout for cab control designed to be used with two controllers.  

I read that these must have "separate" power supplies. 

I have one gaugemaster T1 transformer that has two 16v AC outputs from dual windings.

Does this count as "separate" power supplies so can I run my two gaugemaster W controllers using cab control off of this single transformer, each one being attached to the separate 16v ac outputs?

Thank you. 

Yes, 'seperate' power supplies means not using one transformer output to power 2 (or more) controllers.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Yes, 'seperate' power supplies means not using one transformer output to power 2 (or more) controllers.

Thank you.  Means I don't need tho buy another transformer!

It's not 'cab control' that causes the problem running two controllers off one transformer, it's using a common return. If you break both rails at each section break and use double pole switches, one transformer will suffice.

Regarding the Gaugemaster T1, many years ago I had problems using two HH type feedback controllers off one. There was some sort of interaction going on when both controllers were powered up, the model shop I bought them from contacted Gaugemaster and they changed their advice that two HH could be run off one T1 and said to use separate transformers. It only affected the feedback type and not the non-feedback like the W.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, giz said:

It's not 'cab control' that causes the problem running two controllers off one transformer, it's using a common return. If you break both rails at each section break and use double pole switches, one transformer will suffice.

Regarding the Gaugemaster T1, many years ago I had problems using two HH type feedback controllers off one. There was some sort of interaction going on when both controllers were powered up, the model shop I bought them from contacted Gaugemaster and they changed their advice that two HH could be run off one T1 and said to use separate transformers. It only affected the feedback type and not the non-feedback like the W.

IMO any sort of controller is best with it's own AC supply. That way if a short occurs, the other one will not be effected at all.

3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

IMO any sort of controller is best with it's own AC supply. That way if a short occurs, the other one will not be effected at all.

Just be careful with modern switch mode supplies. Higher power ones may be commoned through the earth pins. If it has a plastic earth pin or uses a C8 (two-pole, figure-8 ) mains connector then it is isolated.

• RMweb Gold
On 23/10/2019 at 09:39, giz said:

Well I have used a common return. Both rails are broken at the section breaks but then all the negative feeds are linked together. It's the positive feeds that are linked by spdt switches to either controller. So is the t1 effectively two transformers in one box and will I be ok using its two separate 16v outputs to supply the two gaugemaster Ws?

I only have one W at the moment,  planning on buying the second. 

You should be OK, not sure why but it was only the HH feedbacks that were affected. Of course, it was a long time ago and they may have modified the transformer by now anyway. If Gaugemaster say its alright you shouldn't have a problem, the T1 does have two separate windings.