Rocky Mountaineer

Unclealex

Hi all, I've got a new project going and would appreciate your views. I am planning to create an N gauge Rocky Mountaineer set. I shall probably have to repaint models, which will be tricky in N gauge. Does anyone know if there are already any models available?

Would be happy to be wrong, and depends on era and how accurate you want to be, but I suspect you will need a lot of kitbashing and/or scratchbuilding to do this in N.

NOTE: Rocky Mountaineer has had exclusive runs of HO models done in their paint scheme, sold by Rocky Mountaineer.  I am not aware of anyone offering the Rocky Mountaineer paint scheme in N.

The list of equipment used can be found on Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountaineer#Equipment

The "RedLeaf" coaches are the standard ex-CN CC&F coaches which have been done in the past by Rapido (as part of their Panorama line in N, or Super Continental in HO).

The former engines, the GE B36-7, have been available in the past from Atlas in N (HO coming soon from Rapido).

The current engines, the GP40-2L, I don't think have ever been done in N.  Athearn offer it in the past in HO, and the GP40-2W is close and available from both Athearn and Atlas in the past in HO.

The "SilverLeaf" single level domes have never been done.

"GoldLeaf" bi-level domes, not aware of N.  In HO apparently done by Bachmann for the Alaska cruise trains, though there are differences between the equipment used by Rocky Mountaineer and Alaska.  Rapido did an exclusive model in HO for Rocky Mountaineer in the past.

Not aware of decals in either scale.

So, summary.

In N, if you go to the past you get get the engines and the coaches which you will need to repaint and likely get custom decals made.  Everything else will need to be kitbashed or scratchbuilt.

In HO, a lot easier with variations for time and budget.  With enough time and perhaps budget you can likely purchase the GP40-2L, coaches, bi-level domes on eBay already done for Rocky Mountaineer.  If one gets decals done and willing to repaint, either engine models and the coaches can be done relatively easy with just a matter of waiting on eBay for the bi-level domes, or searching for the Bachmann Alaska product and maybe doing some kitbashing.  The single level domes would need to be kitbashed.