4mm scale slate roofs

spikey

I very much like the look of Wills SSMP203 slates, but I really don't fancy trying to join those sheets to make my required roof areas.  Is there really nothing else available in 4mm scale plastic apart from these and the Slater's A4-sized offering?

I use Scalescenes' slate roof building sheets cut into strips and each row slightly overlaying the previous one. The only glitch that I have found is that the slates are not all the same width and the 'vertical' coursing can stray. A bit of judicious use of scissors or cutter is usually enough to bring things back into line. To my mind, the paper on which they're printed is nearer to scale thickness than plasticard.

DSCF0487.JPG.fabc1e22a4ff0b68db4c4875f3870bb8.JPG

I think you can just make out the effect in this photo.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Thank you, gentlemen.  The problem I have with roofing in strips, whether plastic card or card card, is primarily one of my somewhat reduced dexterity nowadays, but also that of the adjacent buildings.  They're roofed with Wills slates: I've tried scratch slates alongside them and I find the contrast  with the look of the "strip" slates is a bit too much, even for me. 

Taking this one step further, the reason the adjacent buildings are built from Wills materials sheets (brick and slates) is they needed to be a reasonable match with a couple of buildings I bought some time ago which are built of the same materials.

At the moment, the way forward looks like being to redesign the factory premises so that the main one has a flat roof, and the subsidiary buildings have roofs small enough to use the Wills sheets without me trying to join them ...

ETA - Does anybody happen to know how small a pitch angle (if that's what the angle at the eaves between the roof and the horizontal is called) they normally went down to with an industrial slate roof?

Edited by spikey
afterthought