GWR calling on -lamp bracket arrangement

I’m building a 7mm GWR calling on , actually two , one on a wooden post and one of a tubular post , 

I haven’t been able to track down a picture of the oil lamp arrangement , what I have seen is a long rectangular box behind nearly the full length of the arm , but can’t be sure this isn’t a modern rendition 

any help much appreciated , pictures of backs of signals arnt that common ! 

Dave 

• RMweb Gold

Right here we go.  the only ones I have got a reasonable picture of the back of are the Down Main Homes at Severn Bridge Jcn.  But beware because as the signal has electric stencil indicators the lamp cases have been modified and shortened with extended rectangular part not present.

1952128406_Salop2.jpg.69c563ed1d62ea4bf8f335b6ae76c559.jpg

So therefore I have included a couple of pictures from the front which show the correct lamp case - here on a signal we erected at Tyseley BRM using recovered parts from the Avonmouth area.  You will see on the right hand doll that the back of the case tapers in at the end away from the doll but I haven't any dimensions.  the m lapm case is the standard Reading design for Calling On etc arms.

1661514555_Tys1a.jpg.bd3c72830aacb20d0136033f1b3b4e91.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Junctionmad said:

Thanks , so the C gets exposed , was it also lit 

was the lamp box , the standard round size ? 

The 'C' was back illuminated by the lamp.  Part of the lamp was similar to, if not the same as, the standard signal lamp with ethsame sort of chimney but the rectangular piece extended beyond that along the back of the arm.

One point however has come to mind - which style of Calling On arm colouring are you using?  Is it the later 'standard' style or is it the earlier GWR all red with the lettering 'CO' style?  I'm not very sure what they looked like lamp wise but I'm fairly sure there is one at Didcot which would be worth a look.  If you can't get there I will be visiting late in November for something else so could have a look if you wish (assuming I have time).  the red & white striped arm was in use by the late 1930s if not a bit earlier.