Hornby 47 Prince William / Henry

Pandora

The Railroad R3757 / R3758  ex-Lima class 47 models  Prince William and Prince Henry  are new in stock , the catalogue  describes their motor as a 5-pole skew wound type. 

I cannot find a service sheet to answer my question. ( FoundHornby  Service Sheet it is 309 )

How are the models powered?

Have Hornby fitted a central motor and cardan shaft arrangement?

Or  have Hornby substituted a 5 -pole armature into  the typical Lima pancake style of motor bogie 

Edited by Pandora

The Railroad TTS sound class 47 I have has the standard Limby motor bogie, as fitted to the ex-Lima 31, with a can motor mounted within one bogie driving two axles. This is similar to all the ex-Lima locos so I would assume this new release is the same.

None of the Hornby released ex-Lima models have had pancake motors.

This is the type:

https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x9769-class-47-drive-unit-complete.ir

Edited by giz
Link to spare part added
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have commenced the chassis swap,  upgrading  the running qualities  an old Lima D1733 (pancake motor drive chassis) to the latest Hornby DCC 5-pole skew-wound motor chassis from the Prince,   other than a single detail, the Hornby chassis assembly is   a direct replacement being fully compatible with the  Lima D1733 body,  the single detail is the main bodysides glazing unit,  the  solutions are either for the  Hornby glazing unit  to be   1 ) unclipped from the Hornby Prince body and fitted to the Lima D1733 ie following  the chassis,  or  2) the near-identical Lima  glazing unit  trimmed  to give clearance to the wider Hornby motor bogie.

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1