Back scenes

Hi I have a 5.5ft 2ft wide layout in a cupboard. It is based loosely on a TMD format, originally was planned to be a scaled down and simplified version of Saltley TMD. However a house move and less space reduced that idea.

I'm looking to create an industrial modern back scene tried and failed to buy any Amsie backgrounds, and cannot seem to find any alternatives.

I have limited space at the back as the images will show partially due to the stairs, however the one side would accomodate a A4 high backscene.

Can anyone help? Many thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/f4000/4596082351/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/f4000/4596696118/

Have you considered creating your own backdrop? Using either your own photos or pictures found on line, you could use a proprietary photo editing programme (such as photoshop [or Microsoft PowerPoint at a pinch]) to both create the backscene (you could "cut`n'paste" various images to make up the desired bacscene) and manipulate the perspective so that when viewed from your point of view it "looks right"

It can then be printed out in sections on high quality paper and if you want a large seamless printout, I believe Prontaprint (or similar) could do that inexpensively

Many thanks both never thought of creating my own, getting the scale right would be a challenge, but definately worth considering. I'll also look up international Models thanks for taking time to post.

• RMweb Gold

Creating your own is very simple - plus you get the added benefit of getting exactly what you want.

As for scale, take the photos (you'll need about 8-10 depending on your camera) from the position you want - i.e. if you wanted the houses in the distance then take the photo from a distance then you can't go wrong. For example, I wanted a backscene with the IOW in the distance, so I popped down to Highcliffe and took some photos from the cliff edge looking towards the IOW.

Tips:

. I took the photos portrait so you can get maximum height out of it.

. Take the photos at a steady level (to avoid misalignment, preferably using a tripod)

. Take the photos quickly to avoid different levels of light. (There is probably a function you can disable to stop the camera automatically adjusting the light level)

. Get someone to stitch it for you (if you don't have the software yourself) and get someone to print it out in one long roll rather than separate sheets.

Hope that's of some help if you decide to go down that route - it really isn't very complex!

Jam biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

Glad I could help biggrin.gif

One more thing, when you are putting the backscene into place (Mine is removable for transportation) it is best to curve the corners rather than have a sharp 90 degree angle as it removes the harsh line and adds a continuous flowing look.

Jam biggrin.gif

Archived