Which kind of coal suitable

Hiya

Hornby R.8112 Tender coal not make anymore because I got brand new tipping operating set with one coal same type of R.8112

I was tried to online of model railways shop in uk and no left stock means out of stock so which coal from manufacturer can suitable the end tipping wagon lift tipping coal out of the wagon

Thank you

It might be worth looking at aquarium suppliers for 'fine black lime-free gravel', which can be had in 2Kg bags, & comes in at about 3mm grain size.. Would certainly be a lot cheaper than the Hornby product...

Or get a Lump of real coal hammer and a plastic bag

• RMweb Gold

Or get a Lump of real coal hammer and a plastic bag

I would agree with you that there is no substitute to real coal, but if it is going to be loaded and unloaded as in this case it could get a bit messy, then you would get into trouble and sent out of the room!

There used to be plastic 'coal' available (Peco?) of you could follow the old Trix Twin idea. The 'coal' supplied for their hopper wagons (still available in a sack from time to time on eBay - collector's prices! :angry:) was made fom bits of their bakelite track base. This is cheaply available on eBay (mint boxed is not needed!) and comes with some useful brass strip as a bonus. A hammer will quickly convert it to 'coal'. Offcuts of black plastic kit sprue could be used too, but cutting it up with sidecutters is likely to be tedious.

Or you could use the real thing, but watch out for dust.

I use the real thing, nothing else looks right. What you need is a cheap pestle and mortar, Tesco do a granite one for ??7, cheap tea strainer, under a quid from a hardware shop, a metal one is best and something a little coarser, I use a 1mm mesh glued to the lid of an Oxford diecast box. And, of course some coal, I got some from the bottom of a neighbour's coal shed. Grind and sieve until you have it down to the size you want.

sdc11732l.jpg

More pictures can be seen on my Somercombe blog.

I would just like to add that when grinding and sieving the coal, it is best done outdoors so as not to breath in the dust.

And if you decide to go down this route, I can let you have some 1mm mesh if you PM me. Or if anyone else wants some just do the same.

Archived