Transmission windup in new Hornby 31 R3745

ruggedpeak

• RMweb Gold

Despite considerable running in at various speeds this new Hornby 31 does not run smoothly at low speeds and seems to suffer from transmission windup as per this video. Applying tweezers to the tower frees it up briefly suggesting they are the problem. I assume this is a not uncommon fault but would appreciate any guidance on whether this is resolvable or the loco needs to be returned. Many thanks. Have done various searches but not sure what to search terms to use.

If this has been bought new I'd suggest you return to the seller for replacement or refund.

The problem could be various things, a gear spinning somewhere, a tight spot in the transmission, something not seated properly for whatever reason. You could spend a fair amount of time dismantling the whole thing and still not sort it out, probably nullifying the warrranty in the process.

This stuff bought new is not cheap, and should work properly. It isn't your problem if it doesn't do so.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would suggest torque induced distortion as the tower seemed to flex when you applied the tweezers. Worse one way than the other likely due to the way the transmission loads are feeding into the tower i.e. it is resisting twist up less than twist down or vice-versa.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

THanks. Definitely something not right with it, took it back to SAT Model Rail in Battlesbridge, Essex and replaced straight away. Great service, and bought one of the newly released MHA's too.

Something wasn't right with the wheels on that one, didn't check them but I think the back to backs were miles out as well as it was very loose on the track. On its way back to Hornby I think. Replacement is far better all round and currently being run in :D

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 1