00 Sierraton Main Line/Carltonholme Branch Line Terminus

Steam here!

Just made a minor improvement to my Hornby LNER D49.

I've replaced the traction tyres with Hornby metal wheels and I have to say. Its very daunting 1st time and what an improvement.

Having watched Sam's trains on youtube I decided to do mine.

Here's some photos, I'm very pleased with the results.

1587131813625303105620.jpg

• 1 month later...

Its time for a layout update.

Since the previous update, a lot of the work has been focused on the following.

• Gravelling the road over rail bridge.

• placing traffic light, unit and gate on the bridge.

•History of Sierraton MPD

•Have raise the lower half of the MPD to the same height as the other half.

•completing the turntable.

•Building more on the MPD boundary wall.

•Re-shape and fix the track in the main MPD.

•Attempt to make NER coal drops.

•Ash tower

•Continuing the large water tower.

•Finalising station names and plans on the branch line route.

•Install ash pit.

•Seperate squence for locos entering and exiting the main mpd.

•Seperate sequence for freight arriving and exiting the main mpd.

•Made a start on the sandhouse.

•Made a start on two coal stages.

• Have also been seeking advice about signalling.

•Raising the platforms to the correct height.

•Placing point motor base templates.

•Painting the cab of a loco.

Edited by Steam here!
Spelling error

The NER coal drops currently working on.

I'm still trying to find a solution so I can also coal wagons which only have the side doors.

The skeleton of the ash tower above the hopper wagons.

20200529_192433.jpg

Edited by Steam here!
Missed out some detail.

The history of Sierraton MPD

Sierraton MPD was built very early by the North Eastern railway. originally, there was only four locomotives allocated to the MPD. with two coal stages occupying both roads. Soon afterwards as the railways in Britain evolved, it was necessary to install a coal tower next to the shed and has always been in the same position since.

The coal drops next to the coal tower were also NER origin, to the right of it were several sidings used to store wagons and several coaches.

On the other side of the MPD was the coach shed and siding, where just the old office was attached to carriage shed, now relocated to the MPD Entrance, meaning that siding was extended. (This is where the breakdown train is now).

To the right of that was the repair shop, one road for coaches and the other for locomotives. Next to that were two sidings ideal for deliveries by rail.

The original set up, did cause problems, being located by the station and unable to physically expand any further and with the original set up affecting the branch line to Carltoholme and the main line.

one of those was, no turntable, the nearest was 5 miles away, meaning for locos to be turned for the opposite direction, would have to be uncoupled, run round their train, just like you would expect at a branch line terminus. Turn around on that turntable 5 miles away and then return.

another issue was the lack of space for locomotives, was a problem and things weren't easier when Carltonholme was too under developed causing back logs affecting the timetables between the branch and the main.

To overcome this, the branch line was upgraded all the way through, the coaches would no longer be stored at the MPD, the would have a more upgraded covered workshop and more sidings.

The carriage shed was converted for use to station more steam locomotives.

A breakdown train siding was allocated, the general repair shop was allocated to steam locomotives.

The track layout was heavily upgraded and reorganised, on the basis that space would be allocated for a turntable and facilities.

Unable to get a turntable, a large water tower and a few other related MPD structures, to be  made at little notice, The NER approached several railway companies and found out that the GWR was removing some of their turntables from some of their branch lines and as a result the NER approached the GWR to buy a turntable, large water tower and a couple of huts, permission was granted on the terms it stayed in its GWR colours, if the turntable was to alter it would only to be allowed to fit bigger locomotives.

As for road deliveries, the route would be simple, over the level crossing, pass the turntable, coal drops. Along the top and pass the original engine shed and to the end and drop down by the loco head shunt.

Edited by Steam here!
Missed some detail

I will now show you entrance procedure (locos arriving on the mpd).

Step 1:

The loco will enter the MPD and will stop outside Shed office, take on water and speak to the shed foreman. (The person in charge of the MPD (not sure if I've used the correct terminology there).

Here this is where the Driver will be told where to put his engine all depending what is required.

In this case, "road 1, loco rostered for tomorrow".

1590862046595929675244.jpg

Edited by Steam here!
Missed some detail

Now for Locos exiting the MPD:

Step1:

•Cleaners, due the usual prep for the loco.

•Getting the fire going.

•Cleaning the engine

•Loco oiling points

•Loco is filled with water.

Driver speaks to shed Foreman, coming to a clear understanding between them, before moving off.

1590863479412-1068904368.jpg

Edited by Steam here!
Made an error

Step 2:

Loco stops outside adjacent to the MPD office.

inside shed foreman is on the phone to the signal man requsting permission to enter main line section to clear the points to change direction.

1590863758137162980706.jpg

Edited by Steam here!
Made an error