Station building - not a bad likeness

DavidBelcher

I found out about this structure after looking up some stuff on the old Playcraft/Jouef NBL Bo-Bo loco; a Playcraft collectors' site turned up a list of the kits offered in the range including this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bletchley-Station-Building-/280503893661?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item414f55be9d

Apparently made for Playcraft by Pola; it's admittedly HO but not a bad reproduction of the modular stations used on early phases of the WCML electrification. Anyone know which in particular it resembles? Doesn't look much like Bletchley to me, but from memory the main ticket hall at Macclesfield is very similar.

Just posting out of ongoing curiosity about this particular kit, really.

Edit: further online "detective work" suggests it is Macclesfield - a different kit was offered under that name with a modern style footbridge thrown in which also strongly resembles the real thing at said location. Despite Playcraft's "budget" image, someone had clearly done their homework when developing these particular kits.

David

• RMweb Gold

Despite Playcraft's "budget" image, someone had clearly done their homework when developing these particular kits.

ISTR that Railway Modeller, sometime in the early '60s, got all enthused about these new structures on WCML, and published a number of drawings. Playcraft may have noticed?

Hazy memory clause applies here but I'm sure that, at the time, Playcraft did indeed list this as being Macclesfield. I did not have this one but as a 10 or so year old I "built" several kits from this range, they appealed because they were pre-coloured and I had not discovered how to use paint effectively.

Just found this site: www.playcraftrailways.com/ showing the 1964 buildings leaflet which includes this model marketed as both Macclesfield and Bletchley. The former complete with some platform sections and footbridge at 15/11d and the latter with no additional structures at 7/6d.

Archived