The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

How long will this spirit burner burn when full ?

brian777999

Can anybody tell me how long this spirit burner would burn for ? I usually make my own for stationary steam engines using fibreglass wicks and brass  but the brass plumbers fittings I use are becoming expensive.  I have never used this type of burner before.

http://forest-classics.net/burner_g7.htm

Edited by brian777999

Back in the 80's, we used to do similar with a certain fiberous material crammed into the Mamod burner box...

Generally about 5 minutes.  Use with a metalic tin of spirits, with a lid that you can slide on when you set the container on fire.  Use on a non-combustable floor.

What we'd do is raise steam with it, then blow it out, "refuel", and relight, then have the wagon drive around for a couple of minutes, and repeat.

Experience....

James

As you are aware, you need a tank to hold liquid spirits in order to make a 20 minute burner.  One I have was made from a T of 3/4" and 1/2" copper pipe, with end caps sil-phos'd on the 3/4". and then a length of 1/2" tube run out about 4", again, a end cap on it.  Filled with wick material prior to brazing the last joint (I think the tube to T one), and slotted 6-8 times.  This gives about 40ml of capacity, enough for a decent run.  It has a feed tank mounted above it, which adds about the same again, and the decided chance of a fire at the top as well as the bottom...

Currently fitted to a Wilesco tractor, though I used it on my Mamod boat engine too.

None of them are that costly if you have occasional access to decent heating tools, but if you don't have them, then it is much harder.  Make a model engineering friend ?

James

I am into model engineering and I can silver solder (hard solder)  brass and copper fittings : that is how I make my own. I thought those spirit burners for sale might be better than my own design and burn longer but they do not. Back to the scrap yard to forage for more bits and pieces !