Henley in Arden - GWR in North Warwickshire

GWR_Pannier

Hello Everyone,

Now that I have fully investigated the prospect of O Gauge and deciding that a jump of £300 from 57xx to 45xx is too much for me I am going to stick with OO.

I should like to thank all those in the 7mm section for their advice and input into helping me make the right choice.

So here is the layout proposal in full:

I have designed it as close as I can to the branch terminus at Henley in Arden basing it on the 1905 map that can be access via the Scottish National Map website, here I must add the alignment to the real location will mostly end.

What do I mean by this? Well actually not an awful lot just that the headshunt can accommodate a King or a 47xx if I should so choose to run one of either in on the basis that this is meant to be a hobby that we enjoy each in our own way, same for coaching and freight stock it may not be the right diagram etc but the station can accommodate the stated 3 bogey coaches and allow easy run around.

What I will be doing is tying to model the buildings where possible and where appropriate I would like to number locomotives as examples that ran on the real branch. - Who knows I may even end up once building a decent otherwise fleet actually try and make a 1905 fleet with the correct stock for the branch, something for the future!

Other scenic work will be very much North Warwickshire but not exact to the location I will be getting extra help planning the scenery as I should like it to have a particular feel (helps having friends in the art line of work!)

onto the track plan itself:

1865615331_OOGaugeCode100HenleyinArdenBranchTerminus1905A.jpg.64d8bfe3b222f8c31d160889c613e052.jpg

This fits the same 258cm by 70cm boards as the O Gauge was being designed for and I have even worked out an inglenook set up as stated in me previous thread I require the layout to also be usable without the fiddle yard attached as at certain times I need access to the desk this yard sits on while the layout is running (I am also a scale plastic model maker and might well have something drying that doesn't want disturbing for instance)

The Fiddle Yard itself will have to be 2 track as the goods yard Headshunt wouldn't fit into my available space.

IMG_5760.JPG.89c96c4863a7520bf39a66e440347968.JPG

Some rolling stock already acquired last weekend at the Milton Keynes show (seen here on another Inglenook that will be eventually done up for potential exhibition use) that will also prove useful on this new layout - I will be using Kadee couplings as I like the ease of use that comes with them having wrestled with scale couplings for too long!

There is also a locomotive inbound!

Update you all as soon as I have something to show!

Kind Regards

Christopher

• Like 2

HI Christopher, 

I am in the same boat, going back and forth between 7mm and 4mm, primarily due to the cost of engine kits. 4mm is something of a goldilocks scale in my opinion, not too big nor too small.

Thank you Nearholmer, I am hoping that done cleverly when I come to model 1905 stock it will be a couple of scenic changes to be able to change the era and like you say get a totally different look, which is something that I hope to achieve taking advantage of the North Warwickshire setting too.

Well some motive power has arrived in the form of this Bachmann 45xx 2-6-2T already DCC fitted I have it running in currently and look forward to using it with the new wagons once couplings have been changed, till then more clearance in the area for Henley in Arden to be created 

1A019FF5-F670-45D6-948D-8E28B55B5930.jpeg.9ec47eb300ed51f6a1bdae8b45bab78d.jpeg

• Like 1

You'll have to use 4539 when you're running a 'later era' as it wasn't built until 1913, and it would need a little bit of 'backdating' to use pre WWI.

BTW, my great grandfather was a driver on the real branch from the time it opened, and lived in Henley-in-Arden.

That is interesting, I will do my best with the construction then!

As I say I am using the 1905 track plan but the rolling stock/some scenics will be from a later era for the time being (the 1920's for the most part) and will do the 1905 bits at a later date. :)

Looking forward to scratch building the buildings though!

• Like 1

Yup, I have been using the Warwickshire Railways website for research thus far and saw that passenger traffic had ceased I guess with the other station there it wasn't needed for that purpose.

I had no idea it existed until Monday night actually but Henley is our choice route in to Birmingham by rail!

I would assume locomotives would be supplied from Tyseley shed?

4539 is listed as being there in 1937 on that site but I really want to mainly go for the 1906 - 1934 livery for locos with GREAT WESTERN in full, 4501 would be my next choice recorded at Tyseley shed in 1930 - a conundrum!  

• Like 1

Not sure if it's come to your attention, or if it's strictly correct, but if you're looking for a branch loco or two for the 1905 option there's a decent-looking 3D Printed 517 body on Shapeways to fit a Hornby 4800/1400 chassis and a GWR Saddle Tank (1851?) to fit a standard Hornby 0-6-0 chassis. Both are by Stafford Road Modelworks.

Of course you might be fully aware of this!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...