help with Rothley signalling

• RMweb Gold

hi trying to get the signalling right for my layout Rothley set in 1950s-1960s though clear photos are short for the time I'm modelling. what I've done so far I've moved the starter to the front of the bridge to bring it onto the layout to give some intreast similar to Belgrave & Birstall station on the down line. the crossover between the mainline are omitted points 25-27 (was told they were lefted in the 1940s?) would the signal 34 remained the same? not sure what the triangle means on the signal but dose seem to have a calling on/shunt arm.

I have have also bought some wills point Rodding for the layout and the red line are the planed rote with the blue being the signal route. though I have to admit it is mainly guess work and could be wrong. 

if any one could cast a experienced eye other the plan would be of great help and off course appreciated

rothleysignalmap1.pdf

Screenshot 2020-02-26 at 12.15.28.png

Edited by farren

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, farren said:

hi trying to get the signalling right for my layout Rothley set in 1950s-1960s though clear photos are short for the time I'm modelling. what I've done so far I've moved the starter to the front of the bridge to bring it onto the layout to give some intreast similar to Belgrave & Birstall station on the down line. the crossover between the mainline are omitted points 25-27 (was told they were lefted in the 1940s?) would the signal 34 remained the same? not sure what the triangle means on the signal but dose seem to have a calling on/shunt arm.

I have have also bought some wills point Rodding for the layout and the red line are the planed rote with the blue being the signal route. though I have to admit it is mainly guess work and could be wrong. 

if any one could cast a experienced eye other the plan would be of great help and off course appreciated

rothleysignalmap1.pdfUnavailable

Screenshot 2020-02-26 at 12.15.28.png

The "diamond" plate on signal 34 indicates to the driver that the train is detected by track circuits, the indications of which are repeated on the signallers diagram. This obviates the need to provide a telephone at the signal, and the driver/fireman does not need to carry out Rule 55.

16 minutes ago, RailWest said:

The points at either end of the siding top-most in the diagram appear to have been hand-points, so would not need any rodding from the SB.

Same goes for the unnumbered ends of the slips.

What is meant by "compensator point"? The arrow points to a standard trap point.

"Compensators" are fitted halfway along each rodding run to compensate for temperature changes by having half the run in 'pull' and half in 'push'.

• Agree 2

Farren

The answer to your question is, no its not. It is just an ordinary set of trap points to prevent stray vehicles fouling the down main.

A further thing is that the dummies 22 and 23 should have yellow faces, the LNER were quite keen on this. The down line signals include under the down home signal 34, a distant arm which is currently unumbered, when it would have course worked. Therefore I think the numbering should be starter 33, home 34, inner distant 35, and outer distant 36, although in many GC locations with a similar arrangement the outer distant was often a 3 aspect auto which showed one or two yellows or green accordingly.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When crossover 26 was removed, signal 25 would have been taken out as you have marked, but 27 would have stayed as it also applies to movements into the yard. It should have been moved back to be adjacent to the toe of 24 points.

The arm below signal 34 is the distant for Swithland.

The reference to "compensator point" may refer to the location of a compensator in the rodding run to 15B points (the main line connection to the down siding). For advice on compensators and where to put them, see 

Edited by 4069
  • Like 1

Farren

I may have inadvertently misled you here. After posting the previous I looked at the SRS diagrams and where you have started is indeed what the SRS show. I also established that Rothley to Swithland is only 50 chains so it's more than likely that the distant arm under 34 is Swithland Sidings down distant, so ignore my ramblings above. I think probably that Rothley had a down starting signal at some point, there was some rationalisation in the 1940s onwards that may have removed it.

Martin

• Like 1

Why the double rodding to 24 with the curious dog-leg? Remove the LH run, then simply take a rod for the LH end of 24 directly across under the main lines to connect into the rod going to the RH end.

Likewise, the RH rod to the RH end of 15 can be abolished, simply connect off the rod running along to the LH end.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1