The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Stubbins - Accrington footpath being destroyed

Stuart A

• RMweb Gold

The old Accrington railway line embankment which left the Rawtenstall line at Stubbins had a loveley footpath running along it starting from the site of Stubbins Station.

The previous mill owners allowed people to use it as a permissive footpath after they bought the land sometime after the line closed on 1979.

They sold the mill and associated surrounding land to another company last year. In November the new company who has moved from bury and manufactures road traffic cones and associated TM closed the footpath claiming H&S risk of falling trees.

This triggered the residents association to apply for a DMMO - a map modification order, which would then legally recognise the footpath. Coincidentally, after the new owners found out, they arranged most of the woodland to be destroyed last weekend. Rossendale BC say that they did not need permission to remove the trees (although the forestry commission might have issues with the volume removed).

It used to be my local path for walking the dog, with the kids looking at nature and trains on the ELR.

Just thought I'd mention it if anyone is interested.  One of the residents has a petition running to try and stop any more development, however the planning dept have said that the company has told them they will be applying for planning permission to remove the embankment (which is currently classed as green belt).  I'm expecting them just to excavate without permission and then apply for retrospective planning.

https://www.change.org/p/melba-swintex-putting-strongstry-back-on-the-map-give-us-a-voice

87762659_2423203301118547_5182649027908337664_n.jpg

IMG_20190101_142618_1.jpg

87418397_2423203104451900_3337047034732478464_n.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1