Apocrypha, USA

SonOfMike

9 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

That's one heck of a bunker!! Almost looks like it could do with a pony truck underneath to stop the loco pulling wheelies down the track!!

I know what you mean. The large bunker was a necessity to conceal the motor. I had considered a pony truck but whilst trawling the internet for sources of inspiration I found a number of USA saddle tanks that had an "overhang" to the rear (e.g. https://images.hattons.co.uk/products/81811-LN_3251941_Qty1_ruler.jpg) so I decided to leave it as it was and save myself another job. It's not so obvious in the flesh, as one tends to see it from more of a top-down point of view, but I might still add a pony truck in the future.

I have another similar chassis in the parts box - I have an even crazier idea for that one ;).

• Like 1

On 10/02/2022 at 00:07, F-UnitMad said:

I do like 'backwoods' locos modelled with 'clutter' on them, like the oil drum & bits of lumber on yours. It gives them even more unkempt character. :yes: 

I don't suppose 'backwoods' is the usual sort of description for a British industrial shunter, but this is my take on the cluttered, unkempt look.

20220213_151629.jpg.0fda1b18933576772365628bea672a06.jpg

20220213_151621.jpg.3492630d45b50f866c094fb4009282c7.jpg

Apologies for the Off Topic diversion!!

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good grief! What’s this monstrosity? It’s almost as if somebody really wanted to build something like a class A Climax but only had a conventional 0-4-0 chassis available…:wink_mini:

Fiction:

Whatever it is, it was acquired second hand many years ago and, like Le Vieux Bancal, been repaired and rebuilt several times. Rumour has it that it was originally a steam dummy, but the superstructure was mostly destroyed in an accident. Some of what’s left of the original body became part of the cab that we see now. The rest was replaced by the log bunkers. Maybe we will never know the truth, but it’s still working the line between Apocrypha and Turpentine in spite of the laws of physics.

Fact:

I just wanted another small loco and worked with what I had to produce something that I hoped would have some of the charm of the narrow-gauge logging engines that I love, but in standard gauge. I was indeed inspired by class A Climaxes, the rather odd class B(?) kit that MDC Roundhouse produced many moons ago. I had also seen some photos of second-hand, rebuilt steam dummies (basically steam trams) that were used by logging lines so these too became part of the inspiration. The rest is just fantasy; the result of my own twisted brain-wrong.

“The Shed”, as it she is known, is scratch-built using a similar chassis to the other 0-4-0, but this one had a much wider motor and no front end. It’s mostly plasticard and some modified Tichy Train Co doors, with a few brass castings and lots of found material / scrap. The boiler is a PrittStick tube and the handrails and coupler cut lever are made from guitar string and thin wire. Bell, generator, air pump and reservoir are all made from odds and ends in the same way as the other loco.

20220226_121543.jpg

20220226_115948.jpg

Edited by SonOfMike
Replaced missing pics
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

There now follows a series of random snapshots of the Turpentine module. The eagle-eyed observer will notice that, amongst all the other rather wonky stuff, the lamp outside one of the buildings is at an unintentionally jaunty angle on a couple of the pictures. This was rectified during the session by utilising the technique developed in Germany, known as "fingerpoken".

20220227_121351.jpg

20220227_121424.jpg

20220227_121511.jpg

Edited by SonOfMike
Replaced missing pics
  • Like 4

Someone has repurposed an old desk for use as a workbench. It'll probably turn up on "Find it, Fix it, Flog it" next week and be upcycled back into a desk.

20220306_145125.jpg

Edited by SonOfMike
Replaced missing pics
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Seeing as it seemed a nice day for it, I jumped into my time machine and did a bit of railfanning around Apocrypha and Turpentine. Apologies for the poor focus - I think my phone camera was being affected by the disturbances in the  spacetime continuum thingie and all that.

https://youtu.be/b0xxWJiwOTs

Edited by SonOfMike
typo
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

Cracking video!!  :locomotive:

The crossing scene from 0:45 on was very effective!! :yes:

455823225_Screenshot_20220312-185706_FreeAdblockerBrowser.jpg.1f0a25a7ebfb43dbcc4bc81e51021780.jpg

Definitely a space/time continuim problem though - it seems to have distorted the ties in front of the loading dock at Turps, look - 

932892056_Screenshot_20220312-185629_FreeAdblockerBrowser.jpg.688502fe7715c52dd2c9e3c3bab3dce4.jpg

It's a funny optical illusion somehow! :tease: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

A rare sight - the entire fleet of Lamy Lumber Co steam locomotives, plus the two Jemima and Gulf RR consolidations simmering in the sunlight at Apocrypha. Good job I had my phone with me despite all them continuum shenanigans  and wotnot. I had to climb up on one of the Anneka buildings to get one of the shots; that's not going to do my sciatica much good...

20220313_123101.jpg

20220313_123156.jpg

Edited by SonOfMike
Replaced missing pics
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've now replaced as many of the missing images as I can. There are some that I can't do because they weren't uploaded by me and a couple that I just can't find (I changed laptop some time ago). There is still a chance that one or two of the older images may reappear - I know that images over a year old were still being re-indexed but I decided to re-upload those that I could find anyway.

I can live with a few missing pictures - it's great to have the site back and it does seem to whizz along these days... which is nice.

Anyway, onwards and upwards! I really should be thinking about doing some more modelling and uploading some new stuff. In the meantime, here are a couple of old photos which have been made to look like older photos. I found them whilst looking for the ones that seem to have escaped.

D271DBAE-A43C-4C97-9035-CEF21A1F2C7D.jpg

1C72C188-B81C-11EC-8255-02DC1830A1AD.jpg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• 7 months later...

Crikey! He's Back!

Actually I never went away, I've just been lurking for a bit but I must confess I have neglected the layout for a while. I've been indulging in one of my other hobbies recently and I just don't have the space to indulge in more than one at a time. 

Anyhoo, I was in Sheffield a few days ago and popped into Rails, where I discovered a second hand Alco FA-1 which I was immediately drawn to and, after seeing it run, purchased. I'm not usually one for for impulse buys; I generally plan acts of spontaneity for months in advance but I'm glad I went for this one. Yes, I know, the PRR livery is all wrong for where Apocrypha is meant to be but I am considering repainting and re-lettering / numbering it. MoPac had some FA-1s I think, and L&N had some FA-2s in plain black (I can live with it being the wrong variant for the sake of an easier paint job). On the other hand, I may do it as a Jemima & Gulf loco or even leave it as it is - it's my trainset after all.

IMG-0152.jpg

IMG-0156.jpg

unnamed.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, SonOfMike said:

L&N had some FA-2s in plain black (I can live with it being the wrong variant for the sake of an easier paint job).

L&N had some secondhand FA-1s - #332 to #341:

https://www.thedieselshop.us/L&Nroster.HTML

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ln/ln0339u03.jpg

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3709919  (not yet renumbered by L&N)

Not plain black, but mostly black.

Edited by pH
Missing words
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2