exLNER coaches on the SDJR

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Whilst watching the BBC 'Let's imagine a branchline' programme presented by John Betjeman , it was noticeable that an exLNER suburban brake E87217E was in use on the Highbridge branch. It was coupled to a exGWR suburban coach. Presumably due to the take over of the SDJR by Western Region, didn't a similar vehicle run on the Hemyock Culm Valley branch?

exLNER brake Culm Valley

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Hello Jack,

Yes, there are photos of W87245E and W87270E at Tiverton Junction c.1963 in the Oakwood Press book which I just happened to have to hand.

It states that they were used as the two ex-Barry Railway coaches were having issues with the newly installed Electric lighting dynamos. The two ex-LNER brake 2nd's were used for the winter of 1962-63, there is also, however, a photo above it of an Eastern brake 2nd working the 1.42pm to Hemyock dated 8th June 1961 !

Regards,

Ian.

Guest Jack Benson

Hi Ian,

Thanks.

Any idea how many exLNER coaches were transferred to Western Region, I am aware of catering vehicles being used on the Southern Region. 

The bottom line, old films can be useful. The recent BBC Railways:  The Making of a Nation features footage of one of the big Southern Raworth electric locos which I have never nor expected to see in service.

Cheers 

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Jack,

I'm afraid that I was only particularly aware of these 2 as I have a layout that I bought called Hemyock Road (3mm) and I have since looked into what stock to build for it.

I was aware of the coach on the Highbridge branch but only because I bought the Betjamin DVD not so long ago and have watched it several times since .... a great piece of film.

Regards,

Ian.