Ivatts, British Railways, and Liveries

Guest WM183

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Was the Wigston - Nuneaton line LNWR?

Yes, with well-used Midland running powers. There are photos of Birmingham-Leicester trains on the line, with Midland engines and carriages, plus a LNWR composite to provide second class accommodation, before the LNWR abolished second in 1912.

The LNWR did have running powers over the Midland Counties line as far as Leicester; use for mineral trains - from the East Midlands coalfield to work up the LNWR via Rugby; there are photos of LNWR 0-8-0s at Leicester on such duties. I'm not sure, though, whether this pre-dated the LNWR/Midland working and pooling agreement of 1908.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

Nantgarw colliery (South Wales) had a new line installed from Walnut Tree Jcn, up to Treforest Estate. This effectively closed the old Cardiff Railway line, from Coryton,and up though Tongwynlais. I've seen several photos of old & crippled ex-PO wagons, all awaiting the scrapper. 1952? But, a bit before my time.

• RMweb Gold

Crwys and Cherry Orchard Sidings, coal storage yards on the Rhymney Railway in the northern suburbs of Cardiff, were used for storage of withdrawn wagons, and there must have been some wonderful museum pieces there, but I was only a kid and not that interested in lowly wagons and vans.  The family home was close to Crwys Sidings, and when these were ripped out in, 1970 iIRC, in preparation for the land to be sold off for the housing estate which still occupies it, it disturbed a plague of rats into the surrounding area that was of biblical proportions!

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Crwys and Cherry Orchard Sidings, coal storage yards on the Rhymney Railway in the northern suburbs of Cardiff, were used for storage of withdrawn wagons, and there must have been some wonderful museum pieces there, but I was only a kid and not that interested in lowly wagons and vans.

I remember visiting the Chesterfield/Mansfield/Nottingham area around 1962. There was a yard at Langwith full of ex-POs all red-carded. Oh for some pictures of them now.

• Like 1