After spending a few weeks trying a few designs, and now there is little else to do, I have settled with this one.

It is to be on a single board, including the fiddle yard, that is 1.8M x 400mm. 

It is small branch line that runs to the large village on the western edge of Greater London, famous for the hospital. It would start from West Ruislip station into the centre of the village. There will be a small goods facility and a layover siding. On the station will be a small ticket office, inspired by the one at Castle Bar Park, and a kiosk will be added as well. The tin chapel is a model railway club. The large building is a Pickfords repository, a firm from my past. 

WP_20200319_10_18_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20200319_10_18_51_Pro.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have now added the cork tiles and laid the track with the power drops in place. I then will power up the tracks and do some test runs. 

One change is the line into the passenger station is completely separate from the goods line, saves have to take a passenger train off and on.

WP_20200510_16_46_47.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Today I finished wiring the point motors, using the new Peco Twistlock motors and the new Gaugemaster GMC-WM01 transformer. The motors have worked well, but I have messed up one point when trying to trim the pin on the point motor. That needs to be finished off and then the scenic work can begin.

WP_20200910_17_13_13_Pro.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 09/04/2020 at 18:47, John Tanner said:

I now have the baseboard to a point to start the modelling work. I need to add a layer of cork tiles and paint them a mud colour, then lay the track and try some test runs.  

WP_20200409_17_30_37_Pro.jpg

The baseboard looks excellent - could you share the spec?  Thanks, Keith.

Hi Keith,

Glad to share.

The baseboard is 1.8m x 405mm, the backboard 300mm high and the front part is 100mm high. the ends are 90mm deep, and are designed so that the legs will be supported across the full width of the legs. 

Under the baseboard is a frame of 34mm x 18 mm timber. Once the track positions were set two supports were added underneath with space for wiring. 

I used 5mm plywood, but would not do it again, may look at 9mm for the main board and 5mm for the other parts.

Hope this is of help.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...