Applying individual pressfix digits

• RMweb Gold

The enforced layover is encouraging me to finish off numbering various coaches and wagons.

I have plenty of pressfix transfers, but they are all individual digits used to make up the final number.

And they are so very tiny, 4mm scale.

Any advice on how best to tackle this so that I get a final number with all the digits level and evenly spaced?

Thanks

Edited by ikcdab
Corrected spellings

• RMweb Premium

Its a painfull job but I use a strip of masking tape (stuck the table a few times first to detack) and I mark the spacing on it too and use this as a guide underneath the number.

Try to cut the same distance below each digit which helps line them up the same

I often start in the middle and put as many digits on together as poss, still with backing on and only lightly pressing down. As soon as you wet the backing its easier to see if they are aligned and you can move them a bit if you are quick, before blotting with kitchen roll to press properly down. I've lifted them with a brush before now and used them like transfers, using varnish to stick them down.

Do it again if not happy as you will notice every time!

I usually seal just the individual numbers with thinned varnish and a tiny brush but that's personal preference and a fear of messing the finish up.

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold

Thank you.  I have had a go.

I did what you said but found the masking tape too thick. So it was by eye. Cut one letter and apply. Blot it well with cotton bud. Then add second,  position as close as possible. Apply minute amount of water with thin paint brush then remove support paper. Then carefully do final adjustment.

All done with very fine tweezers and a close magnifier. See attached! One side down, 11 to do.

20200328_110634.jpg

15853938782457067352750632275385.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/03/2020 at 10:05, ikcdab said:

The enforced layover is encouraging me to finish off numbering various coaches and wagons.

I have plenty of pressfix transfers, but they are all individual digits used to make up the final number.

And they are so very tiny, 4mm scale.

Any advice on how best to tackle this so that I get a final number with all the digits level and evenly spaced?

Thanks

That is how I did it for years - it drove me nearly mad! So - I decided to produce my own ready-compiled transfers.

Due to my age and the current crisis, I can't supply them at present - but if you can wait, look at Sheets BL124, BL132 (and variants), BL141, BL142, BL143, BL148, BL171 & BL179 at https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm .

4BL0132b.JPG.6e2e4f982745b55cdb630db74f5ebf50.JPG4BL0179.JPG.fcc44f3a6593bda7e050127a051e1adc.JPG

You will also find all the lining and lettering transfers that you need for BR steam / early diesel era coaches, plus lots, lots more.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

That is how I did it for years - it drove me nearly mad! So - I decided to produce my own ready-compiled transfers.

Due to my age and the current crisis, I can't supply them at present - but if you can wait, look at Sheets BL124, BL132 (and variants), BL141, BL142, BL143, BL148, BL171 & BL179 at https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm .

4BL0132b.JPG.6e2e4f982745b55cdb630db74f5ebf50.JPG4BL0179.JPG.fcc44f3a6593bda7e050127a051e1adc.JPG

You will also find all the lining and lettering transfers that you need for BR steam / early diesel era coaches, plus lots, lots more.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

John, that's very helpful thanks. And also thanks for the esso tanker ones you sent me in the week. Lucky I got in with those before the shutdown.