Sierraton Main Line MPD

Steam here!

I've been giving anyrail ago and the version I've got is the trial version (maximum no of pieces you can use is 50, including buildings and scenery).

I've been looking at the main line MPD and was wondering if its possible to  have a carriage facility e.g. carriage shed? no of roads: 2, would this be suitable, I know there are things such as carriage sidings and was wondering if MPDS ever did share/ or have carriages on sight?

here are the trackplans, please note all track is loose. The turntable i will be using will be an old Airfix one. Which I don't mind using. I'll be using oo gauge code 100 set track, minimum 2nd radius.

Any help, ideas are welcome, as I said before all the track is loose (not nailed/glued down).

main line MPD list:

Breakdown train siding (breakdown crane, short goods wagon, tanker and brake van)

if its okay (suits/fits with  MPDS) Carriage shed (2 roads)

2 road loco shed already pre-rostered. (The ones that are ready to leave the shed and  go about their duties).

loco servicing works (1 or 2 roads if possible)

Ratio hoist tower- standing above the track- loco servicing works

water cranes

water tower, may need 2? (let me know  what you think)

Deliveries- coal siding for delivering 

siding for empty coal wagons

siding for box vans (any other type of wagons needed?) for delivering parts.

Turntable

Office, any other buildings needed?

siding for locos stabling,

I know its lot, its just rough ideas.

Have I missed anything?

775161569_Mainlinerunround.png.d5989feac301b12b6f3218763063759b.png

The MPD Plan Left Handside

The point at the bottom right of the diagram is from the inner loop of the main line.

the three little rectangle things are the water cranes.

The 1st siding on the left is for the Breakdown Train43.77 kB · 0 downloads

The 1st two roads with the buildings I'm hoping will be the carriage sidings. (can fit 3 BR MK1s on each road happily).

next to sidings up, is one of the engine sheds, this will be the one where engines are rostered for their daily duties on this road I can fit 4 pacific locos LNER A4S, LMS Princess Coronation, Sr Merhcnant Navies & gwr Kings

Next siding up is for picking up empties, goods (wagons, vans anything really).

Sidings up is for unloading goods needed.

The very top one is a headshunt, quit happliy Fits pacifics.

Please note: the trial version (Basic version) of Anyrail, dosn't allow me to use Peco 3 way points, double slips. 

1717020938_MainLineMPDLeftHandside.png.5491c50e5cc25de57ef10da1d3f073d2.png

Edited by Steam here!
I missed out some detail.

The otherside of the Main line MPD shows the inner loop of the main line and the entrance to the MPD (bottom right point). 

Bottom siding on the right is just for stabling or using water.

The next  one up is the turntable.

The one above it  is for unloading coal.

Next to that one is for locos taking on coal, ratio coal tower.

The building above that is for Repairing locos, here on one of the road will be the ratio locomotive hoist.

Red building is a maintence building.

The yellow is the large ratio water tower, would I need two of these for the site?1560142861_MainLineMPDRightHandside.png.121c9ed67303751d15ecb3257349bded.png

Edited by Steam here!

My AnyRail 5 allows you to use peco 3 ways and slips, I wonder if they did a downgrade with AnyRail 6. I tried the 6 and had problems and reverted to 5.

The plan is a bit hard to follow but looks like you can't get from the main line to the 2nd and 3rd sidings from the top on the left and the coaling stage due to the diamond crossings and  

AFAIK Double slips or single slips aren't available for set track geometry so maybe lose the diamonds and use plain points instead.  This will spoil the visuals admittedly.  I would cut set track to length or use flexi for sidings rather than use lots of short lengths.   To make the plan work as drawn you would have to  cut down some track sections in any case.

• Like 1

AN updated track plan of Sierraton MPD, This time using scarm an alternative to anyrail, again I'm using the trial version (can only use a maximum of 50 pieces per plan).

The only entrance to the MPD is from the bottom right between the 3 way point and the left have curve.

Sierraton MPD Track Layout.png

Edited by Steam here!
I missed some detail

Hopefully everyone can understand what its showing.

Bottom siding on the left = the breakdown crane siding

above = I'm still deciding between a carriage shed or to be a loco shed

above that = loco works, repair shop.

Then above that will be two sidings, the bottom one will be for storing empty wagons, vans to be taken away.

The one above it will be for deliveries.

The Head shunt marks the very  far top left I can go, I need the corner free, for road vehicles, staff and access for the MPD due to the run round loop being a bit narrow, my MPD will be a bit oblong.

Just below the head shunt will be the  sanding point for the locos sanders.

next to no: 1 all  locos will be going forward to the head shunt on this road.

no: 2 will be for locos looking to exit the MPD  or to simply reverse/ forward into the repair shop or loco shed/ carriage shed. I have down this so that I can keep things flowing smoothly. This is was a lot better than I originally planned (the last couple of years or so the track has just been loosely placed on the board as I couldn't decide how I wanted my MPD to look and I didn't quite understand the process or how MPDS worked or what facilities they would have used).

Having a better understanding now, to when I first did, I feel that this is something I can make work and thinking of more of the facility side of things of what is required.

I will continue to explain the 2nd half of the MPD,

So starting from the head shunt, carrying straight on to the end is another engine shed.

Just below that will be the coal tower.

Below that will be the coal arriving siding.

The siding just below, It might just be to store wagons or be another shed

Below this is the road going to the Airfix turntable (diagram shows the Hornby one, this one has a much wider base, than the Airfix one).

Finally will be the Ash pit.

I will be using water towers, water Cranes (not sure how many  of each I will need).

Oil store

Sanding store

Small shed works building

loading dock

I will also including barrow crossings/ cobble sheets where nessasry.

including yard lamps (Static painted model kits).

Edited by Steam here!
I missed out some detail

The trick I use is to remove bits of straight track from Anyrail to allow more points to be added up to 50 and then doing a screenshot and putting the straights etc back in with FastStone image viewer or Paint or similar. See Pic

Also my take on the plan.  Its not AnyRail just an educated doodle.   I din't like the fact most shunting impacts the main line so I tweaked it so all but the carriage and Crane roads can be accessed without impinging on main line running by using a short spur off a Y point for 12" length long enough for any UK loco except a Garratt.

It needs a Cenotaph coaler, where the wagon is lifted up to tip coal as there is no room for a ramp for the GW type. Spare coal can be kept in the end of the road below "Headshunt."   

I would suggest a trailing connection between main lines shown Red instead of the facing one 

I don't suggest a scissors connection with both facing and trailing crossing in the middle.

Screenshot (258).png

Screenshot (259).png

Edited by DavidCBroad

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update regarding the MPD, progress has been made and I'm very pleased with it.

The updates will becincluded my layout forum.

As for here, this is what I have done:

Decided not to proceed with the carriage shed as I didn't have the room.

I've extended the inspection pits.

I've made a start on the general repair shop.

Locomotive hoist and inspection pit included for the general repair shop.

Using a metcalfe factory kit, using this to make a sandhouse.

Turntable base now fixed in play.

I've had to remove a tunnel abutment to make way for the loco headshunt.

Making holes for the fencing with clearence in mind.

Track steadily being put in place.

The main layout forum can be found here > Layout Topics.

(For recent photos)

My first Proper layout oo gauge (Analogue)

Thank you to DavidCBroad for your help.

Its greatly appreciated.

Edited by Steam here!